Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: feeling sad that it is all gone

I agree with Deborahlees. Go shopping and try to find something to replace your favorite fabric.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by nannyrick.com View Post
    I agree with Deborahlees. Go shopping and try to find something to replace your favorite fabric.
    I could be persuaded...

(Already I feel the gloom lifting!)

Alison

Blog Entries
    Retail therapy for the win! lol

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    Yes, I have a favorite batik I bought when I had just started quilting. Oh, if I could only go back in time. You see, even though I loved it, I only bought 1 yard. Oh well, live and learn. Now I buy buy three yards if I really love a fabric. I don't know if I will ever cut it to use it. I have a pattern for a small quilt that I use to make table toppers. The middle square is a fat quarter, which is then bordered by 5 inch squares with a border around those. Maybe I will use the fabric as the middle fabric fat quarter. I bought it because it reminded me of a pond with pink water lillies in sunlight and shade. Once, when I was selling my fabric because I wasn't going to quilt anymore (yeah, what WAS I thinking), I just could not bear to put the fabric in my sale. I am so glad I hung on to it!
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

I found some super cute dinosaur fabric about a year ago. Since at the time all I knew how to make were little baby blankets I only bought a yard of it and a matching fabric. Now that I am getting more adventurous in my sewing I am kicking myself for not buying more yardage. Every once and awhile I'll find the matching fabric on eBay but none of the one I fell in love with. So I am hoarding it, at least until I can figure out what to do with it without regretting it.

Blog Entries
    It is hard, no doubt. But like songs, movies, perfumes, etc. there might just be that new all-time favorite out there just waiting for you around the corner. Don't be afraid to go out there and find it. Good luck, and make it a journey. :-)
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

I just recently moved from Washington state to West Kentucky and had to get rid of all my fabric before I moved because we didn't have room for it in the moving van. So my fabric stash consists of exactly what I'm using to make the quilt I'm working on Very sad. Hopefully I'll be able to start investing in a new stash soon
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckyred View Post
    I just recently moved from Washington state to West Kentucky and had to get rid of all my fabric before I moved because we didn't have room for it in the moving van. So my fabric stash consists of exactly what I'm using to make the quilt I'm working on Very sad. Hopefully I'll be able to start investing in a new stash soon
    Oh, that is sad! I hope your new stash will be rich and full and satisfying, as you build it over time. Could you bring any of your favorite pieces with you? Does your new home have a nice big sewing room you can fill with lovely fabrics?

And welcome to the Board from North Carolina!!

Alison

yes I do! I bought a yard and a half of this fabric when I was still a wee infant to the quilt world (skill wise).
    I was so enamored of it, the colors are a gorgeous blend of orchid and white with greens and fuschia flowers.
    It wasn't until much later at home that I realized it is not a pure cotton fabric.
    It is 60" wide, but I sure wish I had bought more than 54 inches.
    I can think of things to make with it, but it would get all dirty and worn and it wouldn't be beautiful like it is now...so I just keep it and daydream.
    It is my all time favorite...with several others close behind, but never quite catching up
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

I wish all you above members would have posted a picture of your favorite fabric. You never know which of us might have it in our stash and would be happy to part with it to make another quilter happy.

oohh, what a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
    I used the very last scrappy bit of my all time favorite fabric this morning. I have no more. I have used it in landscape quilts, classic quilts, as binding for heavy, woven Roman blinds (used yards of it for that project - every window in the house and two of its sliding doors have homemade Roman blinds!) and now as part of some scrappy blocks that will be assembled shortly. I have had it in my collection for over ten years...

I love this fabric because it is a sturdy batik with a vaguely landscape feel (a suggestion of trees and leaves) containing many of my most-used colors - russet, chocolate, purple, burgundy, moss green, cream, even a bit of navy. Sigh.

Do you have a favorite fabric? Did you hoard the last bits of a particular fabric when you discovered that you cannot get any more? Do you mourn any fabrics that you had, but are now all gone and commercially unavailable?

Alison

PS I will get over this...
    I wish you included a photo. I have had favorites. Some that I have been afraid to use. Isn't that silly?

Blog Entries
    When I use my all time favorite fabric I don't really mind because I find a new all time favorite next shopping trip. I have kept small pieces of my favorites to remind me if I ever see it again buy it all.
    Got fabric?

I love Christmas fabric, just hate to cut it up. I have yards of a beautiful blue shinny fabric, have had it at least 20 years, was going to make myself a fancy dress, now I think it would be great to put into an art quilt, but do I make art quilts, no but maybe one day. lol

Believe it or not I felt that way about a particular Christmas wrapping paper I bought on a HUGE roll one year. It lasted forever and I was soooo sad to use the last of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsM View Post
    I wish you included a photo. I have had favorites. Some that I have been afraid to use. Isn't that silly?
    Nope, don't think having a favorite is silly at all.
    I think it's akin to being in love.
    There are a lot of others, but none can take it's place.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3