Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: feeling sad that it is all gone

I do have a favorite fabric, and I have some of it in a bag with coordinating fabrics, waiting to be made into a quilt for me, someday.

I did make one previous quilt out of it for a teacher who's been good to my child and who lost her husband suddenly. It makes me feel good that my favorite fabric went to one of my favorite people at an important time.

Reading through these posts, I think I will take some scraps of this fabric and make some little thing for myself with it. I have seen earring frames that could hold fabric...maybe that would be a good way to "honor" the fabric...
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    OH my goodness .. you better go shopping says Dr. Quilt as the remedy for this pain !LOL
    I think the tiny flower print are my down fall, not sure -my pysche thinks its to do with my grandmother and her always making me flowered prints. LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Sorry to hear about your fabric. You can see your fabric when you look at your windows, that is if the Roman shades are still their. I was wondering may be if you have the name of the fabric you could contact them and ask may be even beg them to remake the designe. You know if they could take it out of retirement. I know some fabric designers have done that in the past. Just a thought happy quilting yippie

Blog Entries
    I have some beautiful fabric that I purchased long before I started quilting. I made a basket liner from it for my MIL. Every time I visit her, I eyeball that basket and vow to myself that when she passes, that will be the first thing I grab, lol! I still have a small piece of that fabric, but it is too small to do anything with and there is no selvedge, so no chance (however remote) that I could hunt some down. Maybe I'll stumble across some at a yard sale.

Most of my favorite fabrics are in my late mother's stash. I use them, but it is hard. No matter how many fabrics I put in a scrappy quilt I see hers when I look at them. Some were used to make maternity tops for me 29 years ago!

Blog Entries
    Purchased some fabric which I knew I would hate cutting up.eventuall used some as a backing for a quilt for me. I loved the fabric as it contained a forest scene on similar to a rainforest with birds etc.

Absolutely. Several years ago I bought a small pumpkin print while on vacation. Every time I look at it, it reminds me of our trip to Maine. So not only do I love the fabric, it represents good times. I finally used it up with the exception of a 3" x 6" piece. I refuse to part with it! Think of it this way though, it's better to enjoy it made into something than just sitting in your stash. Somewhere is a piece of fabric just waiting for us to adopt and bring home!

Quote Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
    I used the very last scrappy bit of my all time favorite fabric this morning. I have no more. I have used it in landscape quilts, classic quilts, as binding for heavy, woven Roman blinds (used yards of it for that project - every window in the house and two of its sliding doors have homemade Roman blinds!) and now as part of some scrappy blocks that will be assembled shortly. I have had it in my collection for over ten years...

I love this fabric because it is a sturdy batik with a vaguely landscape feel (a suggestion of trees and leaves) containing many of my most-used colors - russet, chocolate, purple, burgundy, moss green, cream, even a bit of navy. Sigh.

Do you have a favorite fabric? Did you hoard the last bits of a particular fabric when you discovered that you cannot get any more? Do you mourn any fabrics that you had, but are now all gone and commercially unavailable?

Alison

PS I will get over this...
    I hope you saved a few of the scraps to put in a pretty vase or glass jar.

I have about 25 yards of my all time favorite yarn in a ball. Just sits there---------but I still love it.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

In the quilt book =Bargello with a Twist --I saw the only fabric I went gaga over. Contacted Nancy Zieman & the book author and much searching on the internet before I found 4 yds. Took months to do because out of print.
    I would even wear a scrap of the fabric pinned to my clothes when shopping in case people recognized it.
    This fabric had 14 colors swirled thru it. A lady in California even traded me 1/2 yd. of the second color.
    Naturally, I haven't cut it yet -looking for special pattern but I sure know how you feel. So if you like the
    fabric buy lots now.

Blog Entries
    I've thought about putting a square piece of material, that I love (maybe 8x8), in a frame and hang it on the wall. I would smile every time I'd look at it It's hard for me to cut material I love. I'm working on that tho.

I have had a few. A stripe that was black purple and turquoise, another with the same colors that had a water color feel and a vintage fabric with the same colors and white big swirls of fabric. hmm I am seeing a pattern here. lol

Yes, it is a batik with my favorite colors and I wanted to make a convergence quilt, but am afraid I can't find any more if I make a mistake.

I'm so glad there are others out there who can't cut into a favorite fabric. My none sewing friends laugh at me.

Years ago I was at a "Beverly's" and they had this weird orange fabric, with black and brown flicks on it in the clearance area - the flicks were small and it really complimented all the Halloween fabrics that year. So I got brave and bought 3 yards of it. Now I am sorry I didn't get all they had. At first people I sewed with laughed at it - but it was one of those fabrics that would bring everything together. And I shared it all the time - thinking it would come back again - have not seen it since. And I have this one small piece left of it.

My mother had saved a piece of fabric she used to make one of my sister's a dress (I think it was the oldest since she went to school first). It was a Disney fabric of the 3 little pigs. She told me she had it somewhere, no sure where, but just couldn't let it go. So after she died and I found the fabric - my middle sister din't recognize it at all, so I used it in a quilt for a grand niece. (The grand daughter of my eldest sister who passed away in 2008.)

Yes, I do. It is a Wildflower fabric with all kinds and colors of flowers. Bluebonnets (TX's state flower), Indian Paint Brushes and others. It is just beautiful! Quilt shops sell out of it and order more, but it does not last long on the shelves. It is several years that it has been a really popular fabric. I'm going to use it for a wide border, and I won't have to cut it very much. There is a pattern for a quilt called, "Just can't cut it!" It has large blocks of your special fabric. I plan to make one. It's on my list!

Power Poster
    Have a few of these and they are so hard to use up. Why do we do this to ourselves?

Dee
    I too have 2 fabric pieces I just can't seem to cut. Pet it and put it away for another petting day.

Haven't been doing this long enough to collect much. I mostly just look and wonder then I can't find the fabric when I find a project for it

I feel like this with background fabrics...just hate to use them up and can't resist buying them either.

Been there and done that. I have a question...can you reccommend a good pattern for roman blinds? Thanks, Lois

Quote Originally Posted by trolleystation View Post
    Been there and done that. I have a question...can you reccommend a good pattern for roman blinds? Thanks, Lois
    This is where I got the blind pattern I used. The only changes I made were to fix the blind permanently to the board ("batten") instead of attaching it with Velcro, and on most of my blinds I didn't bother with lining since I was using heavy woven upholstery fabric which was opaque already (but that is why I needed to bind them!). They took a fair amount of effort - by the time I was finished I could see why I had been quoted $17/sqft to have them made!

Alison

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Why not just set aside a small square of all those fabrics you love? They can be like a memory book. If you remember fabrics like I do (kind of obsessively) even seeing just a 2" bit of it, you'll recall what all of the rest of the design looked like. And you could probably fit literally thousands of 2" squares into a shoebox, and even if you had to move into a tiny trailer or a one-room shack you could still take all those fabric friends with you.

Blog Entries
    I have fabrics I am using now that is christmas theme and I am truely about to greive. I have one left it is a fancy dark red almost wine color with gold swirles that forms cardinals I can not think about cutting so, I am looking for a pattern called fireside snuggler, so I will not have to cut it in small pieces. Why do we do this? It is so funny to my daughters boyfriend, He just doesn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by nightquilter View Post
    I have fabrics I am using now that is christmas theme and I am truely about to greive. I have one left it is a fancy dark red almost wine color with gold swirles that forms cardinals I can not think about cutting so, I am looking for a pattern called fireside snuggler, so I will not have to cut it in small pieces. Why do we do this? It is so funny to my daughters boyfriend, He just doesn't get it.
    I think part of not wanting to cut into fabric is that a really good design is art...and we don't cut up art! Even though many of us could make a pretty cool stack'n'whack or one block wonder out of fabric with a repeating Mona Lisa design we wouldn't cut into the original, one-of-a-kind artwork. And that beautiful piece of fabric you are saving is one-of-a-kind, in your stash anyway!

I hope you find your pattern, and when you finally do cut your fabric (even though it will be to make something beautiful) I will feel your pain!

Alison

I have a royal blue that is at least 10 years old -- I bought 8 yards and have used it forever in all kinds of quilts. I have a strip 6" wide by 5 yards left and don't know what I will do when this is gone. I had a similar true red piece but it is gone -- sigh. I can't find the shades any more. Sigh.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast