Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Felt for batting? >

Felt for batting?

Felt for batting?

Old 12-08-2013, 08:44 AM

Default Felt for batting?

Hi, Friends,

Has anyone ever used polyester or wool felt for batting? There was some polyester premium felt on sale at Jo-Ann's this morning and I might give it a test run on some scraps. It's thickness is similar to a low loft cotton batting but it's stiffer and heavier. I've made a quilt top that I would to turn into a heavy throw blanket--like Pendleton-quality heaviness.

I'm going to do a test run on scraps and report back, but if anyone has ever used felt before, I would love to hear from you!

Bestest,
A
Old 12-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

​I believe there was someone who tried White felt as batting and it worked fine. You have to watch out for fiber content and colour fastness though.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:00 AM

I have used the premium felt at Jo Anns for table runners and insides of potholders. There is some very slight shrinkage. Since all felt.. like battings are not equal .. do make a small test sandwich and send it through the wash. I would hate for you to do a lot of work only to have a disappointment after the first wash.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:08 AM

It wouldn't hold up to multiple washing and stretches really easy. Plus, I would imagine that with all the quilting it wouldn't hold up to that either. I do emb with it and all of the instructions for it says if the design is very heavy use a stablizier with it. just my opion it probably wont hold up
Old 12-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

I use it for table runners tht won't get dirty, ie, for the bedroom dresser. lays nice and flat