Felt

Old 08-18-2013, 09:36 AM

Default Felt

Here goes another one from the quilting police.....
A couple of weeks ago someone gifted me with quite a few yards of felt(in a tan color). I had no idea what to do with that much fabric so I decided to use it as batting. I made a baby quilt last weekend with some of it and I hope to finish a twin size quilt this afternoon with some more of it. I still have several yards left, but I am being told by and older relative that I can't use that in quilts. Is this true? Have I made a mistake using the felt? The only differenct I can tell is that it is not as thick as regular batting. These are going to a friend of my daughter for her baby and a birthday preset for a young lady who calls me her 'nana'. We all live in the south and truly winters are not that cold so thickness is not an issue....Any thoughts?
Old 08-18-2013, 10:01 AM

What happens when you wash felt? That would concern me.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-wash-felt#b

Sounds like it is washable but not certain how the layers will turn out. I have had felt shrink on me.

Someone else may know more about using it as batting.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:03 AM

Hmmm....my guess is that when you wash that quilt, it's either going to shrink up or start waving. I washed felt once and it really shrunk. But I wasn't using it in a quilt. Good luck, and let us know what happens when you wash it!
Old 08-18-2013, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

Hmm I don't know. I never used it but if it is the synthetic stuff it might work. I have no idea how it does being washed or put in the dryer. Maybe try putting it in or making a small quilt? I am all for using what is on hand and batting is pricey. I use old synthetic blankets, fleece etc.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:37 AM

I have seen all kinds of felt and thicknesses. I would be worried about dye coming out. Check a piece before you use . It will only mean one quilt to undo. I was told I couldn't use an old blanket as batting. I did and put it in a show. The quiltilice never noticed. Only thing I could say the quilt was very heaven in comparison with one with batting.
Use the felt as applique for rabbits horses etc.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:56 AM

If it is a washable felt you should not have any trouble with shrunking or color fadeing? Wash a small peice and see how dose on both counts and then you will know is it will work for a batting. I think the wright would be great for light quilts. gook luck.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

​Since it is light colour, you shouldn't have to worry about dye coming out. I doubt it will be washed in water hot enough to shrink it. As long as you quilted it closely, I think it would be fine. In the old days the cotton batt had to quilted about every 1 and 1/2 to keep the fibers from shifting. I would think felt might have the same issues.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:47 PM

Karen McTavish used felt in some of her quilts to let the color come through on a white fabric top. I'm sure that those quilts were more for shows than for use. They would not get the same washings as a baby quilt. I would try Sweetpea's suggestion and wash a small piece and see if it tears or shrinks. Good luck, hope it washes well. Would hate to hear you had to undo the stitching if you already quilted it!
Old 08-18-2013, 06:47 PM

I'm assuming you didn't ask the older relative WHY you're not "supposed" to use felt in a quilt....? That would have been my first response. And I'm not trying to be snarky - I'm curious what she knows that we don't.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:33 PM

I know that felt comes in as many qualities as any other fabric - some wonderful, some not so great, and everything in between.
As others have said the only way you are going to know is to try it and see how what you have performs.