Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 'fess up

Quote Originally Posted by grammyp
    Guilty. I must confess, I do have a housekeeper that comes once a week and he does vacuum and dump the trash for me. Now, if he would only return fabrics to the shelves for me......
    WHAT???? Housekeeper??? HE?????? Is that possible?????

I have been messy in my current space but I do want that to change in my new space. We're buying a new house and my craft room is going to be massive compared to what it is now - still smaller than some others I have seen here but definitely will be a step up for me.

I'm going to really try hard to keep it all nice and neat. I am having problems finding things in my mess right now so it has to change when I move.. and I'll also do a good destashing once I'm in place. I'm planning on bringing stuff to my quilt guild and having the ladies make donation quilts out of my destash materials...

I clean up like super-duper clean a few times a year. In between those times, I group like things together and move them out of my way.

Right now I'm filtering through fabric I thought I wanted, but now don't really want, except some of the stuff I didn't want before I do now, so there was one pile of sell-give away, and now there's two...

:lol:

Quote Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    OK - am I the only SLOB - 'was just wondering how many of you "tidy up" immediately after sewing, or do you close the door and walk away until the next time. Then cleaning happens when you can't stand it any longer........this scares me - am I a near-to-be HOARDER??
    I tidy up after each sewing session. Can't stand clutter.
    :)

Patrice - you said it Perfectly!!!! That's me! :-)

I do put away all notions, rulers etc.
    Fabric can wait, floors can wait.

My sewing room looks like I am becoming a hoarder, so I moved the machine to the dining room table and work there! The sewing room door is always closed. It is too small to hold everything that is in it.
    Alicia

At home I usually leave a current project out - hoping to get back to it quickly. At my rented studio (because it's in an office complex) I'm good about cleaning up before I leave.

I am a neat and tidy hoarding slob. Not a surface slob but a hidden slob. I hide my hoard in the cabinets, not neatly. So it looks neat and tidy on the surface.

yes, I do both, must be the Gemini in me!

I'm anal. When I've finished for the day or for the session, I put up all my rulers, organize my project pieces so they will be in order when I return. I have special containers for my notions that I use on a regular basis. I put away fabric when I finish cutting.

Now, the floor is another story. I only vaccum about once a month or until I can't stand it anymore.

Most of my house is very very clean. (I am OCD.) If my sewing room is that clean, I feel totally uninspired! ROFL

I am an OCD sort of person-put away and clean up after each project and even find myself cleaning up during a project if I am done with something. I have learned from past disasters, repurchasing items I already had and can't find, etc. that I get more done on projects if I am not always looking for something.

GASP!!

It's MY room -- you can't make me clean it up!!!!!! I don't close the door cuz my computer is in here. I've accomplished the ability to TOTALLY IGNORE the mess!!!! :)

No I tidy up every time, this comes from being bought up in home where nothing was tidy so I guess its a rebelious streak lol

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingKrazy
    I must admit, I do have to sweep the floor to get those little strings and stray pieces that drive me crazy sticking to my feet. lol
    YOU CAN SEE YOUR FLOOR???? I'm impressed!

If the police showed up right now they would think my house had been ransacked! I just can't keep up with the mess. My house used to be just cluttered but now it is actually getting dirty. I'm trying to adopt everyone's idea of doing just a little bit each day. Right now it is like Watergate in my office. I shredded til midnight last night!

Blog Entries
    If I tidy up, I wouldn't be able to find anything the next day. I clean up when expecting guest. If they show up without a warning, they have to accept and expect that it is all a part of my creativity.

I may not clean up per se, but I do straighten up so that it's somewhat orderly in my sewing room. But at this writing, and until I get my sewing/craft room back, I have no choice but to "clean up" every afternoon because I'm using the dining room table to cut, sew and all that. Have to have room to put out dinner, you know. LOL

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I clean up when I cant find my sewing machine, when bolts and piles of fabric are on my ironing board and cutting table, when i can no longer see my floor thru all the fallen tread & scrap snippets... or when i can find the ruler i was just using an hour ago..

Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    your not alone. i clean up when i can't find what i am looking for...usually in the middle of the next project.
    ditto!

I do pick-up some at the end of a sewing day. What I am anal about is making sure everything is turned off. I keep the door closed to keep the dogs out of there, when I'm not in here, but they are welcome to be in there with me when I'm in there. Right now it's semi messy, but it would only take no more than half an hour to have it looking neat.

Part of the problem I have is that I don't have a dedicated room that I can close the door to. My sewing area is in the family room, so everyone who comes to our house sees it. For the most part, I don't really care a whole lot what they think...

I DO always pick up my rulers and other notions - don't want somebody to step/sit on something and break it (or hurt themselves, I guess). I tend to gather up loose threads and bits of fabric when I'm done for the day. But that's about it!

The hoarder question... As I get older, I'm starting to feel like getting rid of things. For so long , it seems, we've kept things that we "might" use or somebody "might" want. Now it's feeling like clutter to me. How many glass salad bowls does one need? How many storage containers?

DH has not yet reached this stage, in spite of moving his parents into a smaller home and then cleaning that out after they passed. Mom had about 30 boxes of Jello; 8 bottles of red foood coloring, etc. He's still a saver. On the rare occasions that he is out of town when the dump is open, I gather up things. Last time 2 bags to the dump, 4 to Salvation Army.

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    I clean up when I cant find my sewing machine, when bolts and piles of fabric are on my ironing board and cutting table, when i can no longer see my floor thru all the fallen tread & scrap snippets... or when i can find the ruler i was just using an hour ago..
    We MUST be related......

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast