Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7

Thread: 'fess up

Quote Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    OK - am I the only SLOB - 'was just wondering how many of you "tidy up" immediately after sewing, or do you close the door and walk away until the next time. Then cleaning happens when you can't stand it any longer........this scares me - am I a near-to-be HOARDER??
    You are definitely not alone. I may do several projects before completely cleaning up. But, I live alone so no one else here to care (except my cat and she loves the scraps).

Dee
    When I'm done with a project I clean up and start a new one.

I don't call it a mess. Just a creation in progress

Quote Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    OK - am I the only SLOB - 'was just wondering how many of you "tidy up" immediately after sewing, or do you close the door and walk away until the next time. Then cleaning happens when you can't stand it any longer........this scares me - am I a near-to-be HOARDER??
    Why sweep up now? Tomorrow noon the floor's going to be littered again!

I too, have the messiest room,but I can find whatever Iwant. I just close the door and warn everyone to keep out. I waited 50 years to have one room of my own............DO NOT TREAD ON MY SPACE.
    COLADY

My quilt room is usually messy. I love it when it is tidy, but it just doesn't seem to stay tidy very long!

Blog Entries
    I sew on the dining room table so I try not to make too much of a mess because it has to be cleaned daily. So I guess I clean as I go along.

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    It's MY room -- you can't make me clean it up!!!!!! I don't close the door cuz my computer is in here. I've accomplished the ability to TOTALLY IGNORE the mess!!!! :)
    My feelings exactly--why spend creative time cleaning :shock:

Mine has a definite lived in and sewed in look to it. No ocd cleanaholicness for me. lol.

No 'fessen up required. I am a messy worker. When working on a project, I work till finished for the day or span of time then put my tools back into their basket, rotary cutter, scissors, marking pen, you know all the little stuff that can walk around and hide when we are not looking. That is about it. After finishing a project, I do try to tidy up, get the scraps from the current project out of the way, sweep or vacuum, get all the pins in their container and so on then dive into the new project and in 10 minutes the rooms looks like a hurricane has just passed through.

Sometimes the clutter gets to me and I get overwhelmed with too many fabric choices, options and unfinished work then it is STOP. Regroup and then return to the project with a clear head. Amazing how well it works for me. Messy or neat, we all work in our own special way.

Just yesterday, I asked my husband, who came into my sewing rooM? It looked like a tornado hit it! I forgot that I was lookig for something and I made the mess. I do try to clean up after I finish a project.

Bigsister63, You made me laugh. I totally know where you are coming from. If my husband knew how much I have spent on my sewing and embroidery machine, he would have a fit. hee, hee

I clean up after each project so it is ready for my next one. Have my own space (16 x 19) for quilting, card making and scrapbooking, stay in there for hours, love it!!

I clean up after each project. That way when I'm ready to sandwich the layers my table is clean and I can pin, pin, pin.

You should see my studio right now. My DH turned on the fan and a 14 X 14 block quilt was on the design wall !! It went everywhere. I have been quilting out on the deck, so I just left it until I'm ready to put it back up. So don't feel alone in this one

I clean up everything, put all the "old stuff" away, get ready for next project.

It's like going to bed, sleep well if the bed is made up right.

I can clean or I can quilt, can't do both. When the project is finished is soon enough to clean up totally. I try to put all my threads and tiny scraps in an oatmeal box behind my machine as I go. But still, the area doesn't stay clean while I work.

Thankfully I have an understanding husband.

Blog Entries
    I will admit that I am a slob....I usually have material tossed on my dining room table...the only time I really clean it up is when the following happens

1. I know I am getting company and we need the room for eating.

2. It is really bad and hubby bribes me by saying you can go to JoAnn's and get more fabric if you clean this up.

3. I slip on a piece of fabric that is on the floor from doing paper pieceing (I have hardwood floors)

Other wise I leave it. There are times I will clean up in the middle of a project if I cannot find something

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dltaylor
    I am guilty of cleaning up after each sewing session
    Me too....but I have to as my workspace is the dining room table.

Blog Entries
    I do as well....

mim
    I'm glad to know that I have company in the sharing living space. I've never had a separate room. Right now, at the cottage, I have 2 cartons in the garage and 2 cartons overhead with fabrics and UFOs. I do have one of those rolling undercounter 12" wide drawer storage from Joannes for FQs. Actually, when I had a studio building for storage I had several hundred yards of fabrics -- I sold, gave and donated most of it when I moved the first time a couple years ago. I don't feel the loss. I didn't know most of it existed -- I just bought new when I needed something.

I think space and time are similar -- no matter how much you have -- it isn't enough

Mim
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Ingham
    Quote Originally Posted by dltaylor
    I am guilty of cleaning up after each sewing session
    Me too....but I have to as my workspace is the dining room table.

I am very neat...and after I watch even one episode of "Hoarders" I find that I'm eager to reorganize or clean something. It's taken my clean house to an entirely new level.

It's funny how some say 'oh, I can quilt or I can clean'. If you keep up on it, there's really no choice you have to make . It only takes a few minutes to clean up after yourself if you do it religiously.

I do my sewing in my family room so I have to keep it tidy for when I have company. If I had a sewing room I probably wouldn't be so tidy. I would love to have my own sewing room. :)

Since my 'sewing room' is in the Great room or family room, I have to clean up every time. Even if I had my own room, I think I would because my mind and body operate better when I am organized and tidy. I don't spend time I don't have looking for things if I put them away where they belong to begin with, I don't step on pins or scissors, my fabric is color coded in bins and I can pull out the drawer I need, and I don't have to hunt around for my tools as they all have a place and are in it.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingKrazy
    That's why I now have my own sewing room! I can just leave everything "as is" when I stop sewing for whatever reason!
    I can close the door and come back later to everything just as I left it! I must admit, I do have to sweep the floor to get those little strings and stray pieces that drive me crazy sticking to my feet. lol
    Me too. I prefer to wait until I am ready to clear up the mess before doing it.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7