Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Few Questions >

A Few Questions

A Few Questions

Old 01-22-2015, 07:36 PM

Default A Few Questions

Howdy y'all

Recently I "inherited" a large gift box (robe size maybe?) that had belonged to my mother before she died. Inside were five small ziplock baggies full of 3 1/2" blocks of various colored calico prints, four templates she had made from another gift box that were obviously too big to use with the squares, a hand-drawn quilt pattern for use with the templates that she had colored with crayons (don't know if she designed it or copied it from somewhere) four spools of thread that all had been used, three pieces of folded fabric and a few scraps that don't match anything in the baggies, and a packet of iron-on transfers meant to be used for embroidery paint. Trouble is...I have no clue what to do with this stuff! Although my mother was a seamstress, I only knew of three quilts she actually ever made, and two of those were baby quilts to give as shower gifts.

My questions are...what would I use so many 3 1/2" squares for? I usually use 3 1/2" strips to sew together and cut into blocks, or to cut to use in strips as borders. Also, has anyone ever used embroidery paint to paint blocks to use in quilts? If so, how does it hold up to washing? Or should I use them instead as patterns for appliqué? What would y'all do with this stuff?? Thanks in advance for any help y'all can give!

Donna
Old 01-22-2015, 07:44 PM
Power Poster

You could make scrappy HSts with all those squares. If you use the method where you draw a line down the middle and sew on either side, each one will give you 2 HSTs. Or you could sew them together to make the background for some applique.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:06 PM
Power Poster

My sister has fallen in love with Disappearing Nine Patch. If you have enough of the same kind, you could try that.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:12 PM

I have been drawing up quilt patterns for 3 1/2" squares. This one is easy, uses lots of scraps and looks good. [ATTACH=CONFIG]507233[/ATTACH] I made mine in florals with a tone on tone white but I think it would look great with any random scraps.
Attached Files

Last edited by Shelbie; 01-22-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:31 PM
Power Poster

How about Bonnie Hunter's Split 9 Patch pattern? It is under the free pattern tab at her www.quiltville.blogspot.ca
Old 01-22-2015, 10:40 PM

You could always do 4-patches or 9-patches. Add some sashing or alternate with HST or snowballed blocks.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:51 AM

Shelbie, I love the pattern you created!
Old 01-23-2015, 04:39 AM

Just finished this quilt and they were all 3 1/2" blocks.
Attached Thumbnails grecian-1_01-16-2015.jpg  
Old 01-23-2015, 05:34 AM

You've gotten some good ideas for the quilt blocks so I won't add to that. Regarding the "liquid embroidery", when we were kids my sister and I did tea towels and pillow cases that my mother had used the iron on designs for us to trace/color. Many (and I mean many) years later I still have a few of the towels and one set of pillow cases. They had been washed numerous times and the colors are still true. I don't use them now, just kept them for sentimental reasons but they were used and loved in the past. I'm guessing they would work for quilt blocks, too, based on my experience. Maybe others have some answers, too, about this.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
You could make scrappy HSts with all those squares. If you use the method where you draw a line down the middle and sew on either side, each one will give you 2 HSTs. Or you could sew them together to make the background for some applique.
There are lots of examples of patterns you can make with HSTs. Good Luck.