Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is Fiesta de Talavera Quilt really for an advanced stitcher? >

Is Fiesta de Talavera Quilt really for an advanced stitcher?

Is Fiesta de Talavera Quilt really for an advanced stitcher?

Old 08-26-2011, 05:46 AM

Go for it. This is how we learn. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Just because you haven't done a technique, doesn't mean you can't do it. If you get stuck, don't be afraid to ask for help. Again, this is how we learn. Good Luck!!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:26 AM

I say go for it! My very first applique project was for the local guild raffle quilt. I learned so much doing it. I have done several other applique projects since then. I always have a project on hand. I did one that took about 3 years. It turned out super.
Just take your time and enjoy the process. It isn't a race, so it at your own pace.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:55 AM

Did I understand it is a kit and you don't want to take a chance on spending money for something you might not be able to complete? If you applique at all, you can surely complete it. It may take years but I'll bet after one block you will not be a beginner. The BOM pattern at Fat Cat referenced above looks like a good alternate pattern. I've been working on my West of Baltimore since 2007 & starting block #9 this weekend.

I noticed on the link to the pix it shows a cost of $28 is that for one block & does it include material? My West of Baltimore was $24.95 per block which included material plus I had to buy material for backing, borders and blocks. Expensive, but hopefully my daughter will enjoy it when I'm gone.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:28 AM

I say go for it. It is really pretty!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:38 AM

advanced vs intermediate? i say it's about confidence. go for it, have fun, take your time, have patience and be proud when you finish. if it's a project you really want and like you'll finish the quilt just so you can show it off to others. (ok, maybe that's just me) anything less will just not be as satisfying. good luck.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:23 AM

it is gorgeous. the deterrent for me would be knowing all the time needed to be invested in it. if i didn't have to work so much at my "real" job, i'd be tempted. the colors and layout are wonderful--and i really like the black background she showed, as well. i'd be hard pressed to choose!

i say, do it! even if it requires a little rest stop along the way, and something else to do for a distraction, you've got the workings of a real heirloom here. keep us posted if you do jump in!
Old 08-26-2011, 09:12 AM

Very pretty. I've been looking for something baltimore but not for an applique project.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:26 AM

Lovely quilt. I salute you for the attempt.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by FWDesigns
Fiesta de Talavera by J. Michelle Watts is a gorgeous appliqué quilt! http://jmichellewatts.com/images/Sam...e_Talavera.jpg
But I have to ask, is this pattern really for a person who does advanced appliqué? If so, what makes it for a more advanced stitcher? I would like to try it, but I am not sure I would say that I am intermediate/advanced appliqué person. I have worked on only a couple of template appliqué projects in the past without too much difficulty so I was just wondering if this was something that I might be able to attempt. Attempt is actually the wrong word because I can always attempt it but might not actually finish it! :lol: :lol: Accomplish and complete it might be a better phrase. Anyway, I would like to know your opinion of the experience level needed for this quilt and any input you might have on it.
I loved this quilt and I am in process of making one. I am going to enter it in one of our contests but at the risk of not entering (since we aren't supposed to post pictures prior to) I will show you anyway becasue I think you should try the quilt. If I recall from reading the article, Michelle did machine applique with a satin stitch which to my mind would be easier for one not skilled in hand applique. I happen to like hand applique and the way I did it was to download some Mexican tile pictures from a website that sold Mexican tiles. I used some simple shapes to do a fairly decent recreation of the pattern and then used the freezer paper method of applique to make the blocks. The rest is just quilt as you go using the hexangonal shape. I am not an artist and I don't do quilting commercially so I gotta bet that anyone can do this - whether its by hand (I like portable projects) or by machine. As a few people have said, try a couple of blocks and see how you like it but I would not be intimidated either.

WIP progress
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247035[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-247029.jpe  
Old 08-26-2011, 09:38 AM

I would say try it! If you know you like applique then you already are "experienced". For placement on complicated blocks I trace the design on clear plastic that you buy on a roll by the yard at fabric shops to make on overlay for placement using a fine tip Sharpie. Then you prepare the applique pieces in your choice of method, put the background fabric under the overlay and lay your pieces in place matching the seam lines to the tracing. If you are doing freezeer paper then it should match almost exactly, needle turn - the drawn line should match the overlay. This helps cut way down on those pieces being too far to the right or left! It will even help with Sunbonnet sue's arms, dresden plates being centered etc.