Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Figured out machine quilting is not for me >

Figured out machine quilting is not for me

Figured out machine quilting is not for me

Old 01-18-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Joanieu
The stitches look too small and look like they are all crumped together plus I am not able to keep the stitches in the ditch. It just looks too messy - I am trying it on the quilt I am making for myself.
When it comes to doing SID, I find that alot has to do with how well you baste your quilt sandwich. I pin baste using the Harriet Hargrave method. Make sure the backing fabric is taut, the batting and pieced top is smooth and then leave no more than 3" between pins. Using a longer stitch length (I like 3.0), anchor your piece first by doing SID both horizontally and vertically, as close to the center of the quilt as possible. Then work from center out with the rest iof your SID, sewing slow & steady. You definitely need to use a dual feed/"walking" foot to do successful SID. I hope this helps.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:12 AM

Don't give up! It just takes awhile and some practice to get the "feel" of it. But it's worth the investment of time to learn and practice and gets us on to the next project quicker!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Joanieu
even on the new machine - yesterday and a little bit this morning I have tried machine quilting SID around the border of one of my quilts. I tried with and without the even foot, even tried using the quilting stitches (I have a Brother SQ9000) and even just the regular straight stitch. I kept having to use the ripper and remove the stitching.. Jack the Ripper even attacked me a few times. I do not know what I am doing wrong, which is probably everything. So I decided that I will just continue to piece by machine and bind using the machine, but the rest will be hand quilted. I thought I would try machine quilting so I can get some of the quilts done faster, but not working out... Plus even if I did get it to work, I would still hand quilt most projects anyway. Thanks for letting me vent.... :)
Joanie,
I'm right there with you. A long time ago I tried machine
quilting and hated it. Now I pay someone to machine
quilt my quilts. I wish I liked it, because it costs so much
to get it done by someone else, but I don't.
Have a Great Day!
Marcia
Old 01-18-2011, 06:23 AM

How about tieing quilts.?? It keeps them looking pooofy. I
just don't like the drawn, flat look that Machine quilting
gives a quilt. Plus I do like the hand quilting.

And the extra cost. It puts about 100.oo onto the top after
you buy all the fabric for the quilt. Makes the quilt rather a costly item.

Flo in NNY
Old 01-18-2011, 06:27 AM

It is just about impossible to stitch-in-the ditch with a walking foot because you can't see the seam properly but it is good for all-over geometric quiting if you have your "sandwich" prepped with pins or spray.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Limey
It is just about impossible to stitch-in-the ditch with a walking foot because you can't see the seam properly but it is good for all-over geometric quiting if you have your "sandwich" prepped with pins or spray.
Not for me, since I have a Pfaff with built in dual feed foot. That enables me to attach my 9mm applique foot which is nice and wide and gives me full view of where I am stitching. I cannot imagine tackling SID without a walking foot ...... seems to me that the fabric is bound to bunch up
Old 01-18-2011, 06:53 AM

Try smaller project first and wash it and see how the little imperfections disappear
Old 01-18-2011, 07:02 AM

I had a problem staying in the ditch when I first started and I found a stitch in the ditch foot on line and ordered it-I LOVE it-it makes the machine stitching so much easier for me :D
Old 01-18-2011, 07:30 AM

I was told the secret to fm is have a glass of wine first and then if it still doesn't look right have another.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:55 AM

I don't really have any practical suggestions to add since everyone else has pretty much got it covered, but I just wanted to encourage you not to give up! We've all pretty much been there. :wink: