Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Figured out machine quilting is not for me >

Figured out machine quilting is not for me

Figured out machine quilting is not for me

Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 AM

The even feed puts traction on the top layer to make it move at the same rate as the bottom layer. If there isn't enough pressure on the presser bar, it won't do much good - it will just make sure that you are applying those teeny tiny stitches evenly to all layers. ;)

I only have a couple of computerized machines, so I'm not up on all the latest technology - but I think there are a lot of things that human judgement can do a lot better than a computer can. If you can override that automatic sensor's input and increase the pressure, your stitches are probably going to lengthen nicely. :)
Old 01-17-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
The even feed puts traction on the top layer to make it move at the same rate as the bottom layer. If there isn't enough pressure on the presser bar, it won't do much good - it will just make sure that you are applying those teeny tiny stitches evenly to all layers. ;)

I only have a couple of computerized machines, so I'm not up on all the latest technology - but I think there are a lot of things that human judgement can do a lot better than a computer can. If you can override that automatic sensor's input and increase the pressure, your stitches are probably going to lengthen nicely. :)
Could it be too much pressure and the quilt is being 'squished' and not able to move forward???
Old 01-17-2011, 10:48 AM

I got a Innivis 4500D Duetta on the weekend and tried FMQ for the first time yesterday on some scrap material. When I was done I showed my DH and he just laughed and said "What the heck is that!". I have to admit it was a mess. Looked like a 2 year old scribble, but by the sounds of it, the key to mastering this is "practice!"
Don't give up Joanieu and know that I will be practicing along with you!

We can do it!!!!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
Could it be too much pressure and the quilt is being 'squished' and not able to move forward???

It sure could.

I didn't really take the computer factor into consideration. Humans tend to put too little pressure, but it might not be the same for a sensor. :)

I don't think computerized machines even have stitches per inch settings any more, do they? My computer-machines don't. They have settings like 1.5 or 2.0 - I have no clue as to how many stitches per inch that's supposed to be.

With all my other machines, I set the machine to do the number of stitches that I want it to do, then I sew some scraps that are similar in thickness and type and count the number of stitches per inch.

If there are more than I want, I increase the pressure. If there are less than I want, I decrease the pressure.

I wouldn't have a clue as to how to fix that problem with the Brother or the Futura - use a higher number for one problem and a lower for the other?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Usually when I start something new I give it more than a day and a half before I decide to quit. Make some smaller things and practice! You wouldn't expect to be Rembrandt the first time you picked up a paintbrush!!
You mentioned this to me after I tried my hand at machine binding. I love it!!!
Old 01-17-2011, 11:23 AM

Don't give up! Just put the idea aside for a while until you start thinking "maybe I should give it a try again".

Then, my only suggestion would be - get some prequilted, one-color fabric, I usually find some in the remnant bin - and use that to practice on. That way you have all 3 plies already together and you won't be practicing on anything that can get wrecked or that you will need to pull the stitches out of. Use a contrasting thread in the top and bobbin area so you can easily see your stitches and have at it! Draw lines on the fabric with chalk, or pen, who cares, if you want something to follow.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:39 PM

Did you lengthen your stitch length?
Old 01-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

Sounds to me like your stitches are too tiny. I change mine from 2.5 to at least 3 or 3.5. Try some sample scraps to see if it travels easier.

When I first started SID, I jokingly referred to it as "meandering around the ditch" (MID) lol It takes practice. For now, until you get good, try using thread that blends into your fabric. Remeber, you are so close to your stitches that right now you see only mistakes. Trust us old shoes when we tell you that a FINISHED and WASHED quilt will look MUCH different. Many if not most of the "bad" SID will be pulled into the seams and evened out in the wash. Don't give up.

IF your seams pucker, then you did not have the sandwich taut enough. The backing must be very taut (but not overstretched) and both batting and top must be as flat on the backing as possible. I pin baste about palm-width apart. No more puckers!
Old 01-17-2011, 03:12 PM

you have to increse your stitch for stitch in the ditch.

FMQ does take practice practice
Old 01-17-2011, 03:33 PM

To quote the drummer from my favorite band: Practice. You're not going to get it on the first try.

Quilting is about trial and error when trying new things. I don't have a lot of quilts under my belt, but every one I have made has had something completely new and occasionally has frustrated me. The current one has had involved sashing, borders, tying with perle floss, t-shirts with fusible interfacing, and rotary cutting---all things I hadn't done before and sometimes it was frustrating, but I kept at it. Maybe machine quilting really isn't your thing, but you should do some smaller projects before you officially decide that it isn't for you.