Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finally after over 70 years, I did it, and am I ever glad!!!!! >

Finally after over 70 years, I did it, and am I ever glad!!!!!

Finally after over 70 years, I did it, and am I ever glad!!!!!

Old 04-26-2017, 01:25 PM

My first year in home ec - 7th grade, I think! The first thing we made was pillow cases. But then, we advanced into clothing --skirt and blouse. The first thing we were taught when we started the actual garment construction was how to adjust the pattern to fit each individual. The patterns were a guide, but not a be-all, end-all thing. I think I had a very good home ec teacher! And, remember, this was back in the late '50's, early 60's!

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 04-26-2017 at 01:26 PM. Reason: additional content
Old 04-26-2017, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
My first year in home ec - 7th grade, I think! The first thing we made was pillow cases. But then, we advanced into clothing --skirt and blouse. The first thing we were taught when we started the actual garment construction was how to adjust the pattern to fit each individual. The patterns were a guide, but not a be-all, end-all thing. I think I had a very good home ec teacher! And, remember, this was back in the late '50's, early 60's!
Mine was in the late 1950's also. Actually I was not allowed to take Home Ec. til senior year as I was in college track which meant Sciences, Math, Literature and Foreign Languages. Work track took typing, shorthand, home ec., shop, etc. After our colleges were set, senior girls could opt for one year of home ec. in place of a fourth year of math or science. Another memory is the city girls did the cooking and the country girls did the clean-up. Guess they knew we could already cook. One week our class spent the time ironing choir robes.Fun memories.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by LenaBeena View Post
In Home Ec. we were taught following a pattern was not creating, but copying. So to learn we did our own measuring, fitting, etc.
That is quite bizarre. I wonder what the teachers thought patterns were for....
Old 04-26-2017, 05:09 PM

I was taught to use patterns but to alter it to your body. I love patterns and can't imagine why anyone would tell you otherwise. My choice of fabric and embellishments make it unique.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:24 PM

Good for you, LenaBeena! You did it, and proved no one's too old to learn something new. The first dress I made was actually a jumper, and this was about 1978, when jumpers just looked like maternity sundresses. Gathered under the bust for an empire waist, and wide straps, there wasn't much to it. But darn those gathers! I guess it didn't help that I chose canary yellow CORDUROY! (I still can't believe my teacher approved that fabric when there were gathers.) The thread kept breaking, though I was being as careful as possible. I was an A student in every subject (except math) and so I wanted an A in Home Ec, too. But that project was only one of 2 all quarter. The other one (baking) i got an A, so I averaged a B. (Boo.) I cut up the canary jumper into the brightest sunshiniest book covers in the whole school.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:28 PM

I am happy for you! I was taught to follow a pattern.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:33 PM

Great job on both! I learned watching my mom, and I initially didn't know that patterns weren't made out of newspapers! She made most of our clothes when we were young, (out of necessity I later learned) and always made newspaper patterns.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:22 AM

I also learned to sew from my mom. When I took Home Ec. in high school in the early '70's, my teacher wanted things done a certain way, and I kept doing them the way I learned at home (not on purpose, just didn't understand how to do it her way, and was too shy at the time to ask for clarification). She didn't like that, even though the end product turned out the same. I wasn't one of her favorite students because of it! I ended up with a "B" in that class, even though I was an "A" student in most of my other classes.

And by the way, at my small country school, at least one year of Home Ec. was required for the girls.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:46 AM

Fun topic because I was a Home Economics teacher in the 60's. While in college I had been taught to start with a pattern, learned to alter it to fit me. Then I learned to alter using flat pattern techniques (math oriented). Then, I learned to make garments through a process called 'draping'-used segments of fabric which I pinned to a dress form. This was creative, artistic and non-structured. I was not very successful with this technique. So, I taught my students to start with a pattern but to use it a a launch point to create. It is like using the alphabet you learned in preschool to write a recipe or a poem. So, a lesson in the life of a sewist or would-like-to-be sewist, start where you are and move forward in your pursuit. I love to sew-everyday; but, I still can't create without some structure to start with.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:52 AM

I learned from a pattern way back in home ec. In the 70's I revamped and created all the time. Time and my nursing career got in the way of sewing for many years. I am retired now and love to quilt, but garment sewing is something that I have forgotten. I am terrible at it! I so wish I could regain the knack of choosing fabrics and patterns that look good on. Sounds dumb, I try, but really, the items go directly into goodwill bag. Not sure why I unlearned this skill!!