Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finally after over 70 years, I did it, and am I ever glad!!!!! >

Finally after over 70 years, I did it, and am I ever glad!!!!!

Finally after over 70 years, I did it, and am I ever glad!!!!!

Old 04-27-2017, 12:17 PM

Congratulations LenaBeena for trying something new!

I'm in my mid 60's and attended a small school. I remember my home Ec teacher being super fussy about the grain line on my Aline skirt. It almost made me quit sewing! I don't remember when I started to sew but one or two of the neighbor girls (a mile away in the country) would come over and we would attempt to make Barbie clothes. Probably not the best thing to try on an old machine that sat in a cabinet but we had fun even if we got frustrated with little pieces! I also made a 'tent' dress like Zozee for a 4-H project. I made a quilt and tied it with my grandmother and cousin. That quilt went with to football games and track meets for our boys and now stays in my car for emergencies. It is probably 47 years old!

I'm glad I didn't get too discouraged because I made my wedding dress and one of my bridesmaid's dresses from a pattern. I have helped my great niece with a dress and an apron among other projects. I don't make any clothes now and sure don't miss making darts! Lol!

Connie

P.S. I took typing and shorthand in school and took college notes often in a mixture of shorthand and cursive. . I also still have my simple sewing box from shop class when the girls made a project and the boys took home Ec. I think it was only for a few weeks.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:57 PM

Just wanted to join in by adding a few comments. First of all, I was a Home Ec. student with absolutely the MOST gifted teacher. Love and still do love her and am so grateful. She taught us to read a pattern and modify for basic changes . . . length in bodice, sleeve and skirt length etc. It served me well. I have never been one to be able to just "copy" a design or make desired changes other than the above with any success. It is only my opinion, but I feel that those that can just cut a pattern out from a piece of paper or just draw a design and go with it . . . are "gifted". I believe God gave them extra ability . . . just like one who can draw or paint, play music by ear etc. I was told that my maternal grandmother had this "gift", that when garments began to be shown in ads, etc. that people would bring her pics of what they wanted . . . their fabric and notions and she could make it. I wish that had become a gift of my genetic make-up . . . but sadly it didn't. KUDOS TO YOU GALS THAT CAN LOOK AT SOMETHING AND MAKE YOUR PATTERN OR JUST MAKE WHAT YOU WANT! I will be found reading the pattern envelope for suggested yardage, cutting and pinning on the pattern before cutting and using the guide sheet "religiously" until current project is finished.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:14 PM

Glad to hear of your accomplishment! One is never too old to learn and do and create!
Old 04-27-2017, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

Congratulations on your accomplishments. Post a picture, please.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:30 PM

In HomeEc in 1960, we had to make a dress for the year. We started with a skirt which had waist band and a hidden zipper (not invisible). The dress had set-in sleeves, knife pleats, placket, collar, and button holes! I think we covered all the hard things to do in sewing! My Mom picked the dress fabric (cotton which had to be starched and ironed) of a bright yellow color! I wore it for the fashion show in HomeEc but never again!!! I'm glad I had the privilege of taking HomeEc and got to learn a lot of Latin when I was in college for Nursing. The sewing has served me well over the years and of course, the Latin paid off as well. Life is good and I'm thankful for dedicated, hard -working teachers over my life time...
Old 04-27-2017, 07:02 PM

Wow, I had high school Home ec (loved it) back in the 50's, we always used patterns, never knew it was possible to sew without a pattern! LOL I loved shopping for patterns, still like looking at the pictures even though haven't sewn a garment in many years. I am now very adventurous in making quilts without patterns, it is fun.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by DebbieJJ View Post
I also learned to sew from my mom. When I took Home Ec. in high school in the early '70's, my teacher wanted things done a certain way, and I kept doing them the way I learned at home (not on purpose, just didn't understand how to do it her way, and was too shy at the time to ask for clarification). She didn't like that, even though the end product turned out the same. I wasn't one of her favorite students because of it! I ended up with a "B" in that class, even though I was an "A" student in most of my other classes.

And by the way, at my small country school, at least one year of Home Ec. was required for the girls.
I have a similar story - mine was in the 50's. The teacher definitely didn't like that I knew how to sew. My mother was a smart and talented lady who taught me that there is usually more than one way to do most things. When I look back I think that perhaps that teacher wasn't as skilled or smart as she tried to portray.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:29 AM

Interesting...what was supposed to be a creative lesson/teaching...became controlling. I remember being taught by my mother...only many years later to find out she changed how she did it..i felt so cheated....
Old 04-28-2017, 04:36 AM

Another Home Ec. memory--my girlfriend was severely berated for washing some dishes before the cooking was done. Her mistake was not filling the sink with soapy water. That woman--Mrs. Snyder-- was a witch! Luckily we had another teacher for sewing.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

CONGRATULATIONS. It's never too late to learn something new. My Mom made up her own patterns, and that's how I first learned to sew. However, when I got to high school I learned to sew with patterns as Mom couldn't teach me that skill. Anyway, throughout high school and beyond I used to sew the majority of my clothes as it was cheaper. Then years later,I decided to learn to quilt, so I bought books, watched TV shows, etc. and quilting has become my passion.