Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finally, back on the Board, but >

Finally, back on the Board, but

Finally, back on the Board, but

Old 06-25-2014, 02:54 PM

Default Finally, back on the Board, but

I'm finally back to reading and enjoying this Board! We went on vacation, we're busy with family...Anyway, I got an email from my niece whose husband inherited 2 quilts from his GM. She was asking for advice how how to repair them. One looks pretty badly damaged but seems to be mostly one fabric that has deteriorated. ( the nine patch one) Maybe coarsely woven fabric? Any ideas on what to do with these quilts would be appreciated. Nephew in L remembers them at GM house and would like to keep them. They are both probably double bed size.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Old 06-25-2014, 02:58 PM

I would think about appliqueing a fabric that would compliment the quilt in the bad spots, then hand quilt the new fabrics in. If you could find something very close, then you could just add a few new ones in.

Good luck!
Old 06-25-2014, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

For the nine-patch, I would hand applique squares over the damaged fabrics.

For the green and white quilt, I would probably slip a small piece of fusible interfacing (or Misty Fuse, which is a double-sided fusible) into the gap, hand sew the gap shut, then lightly iron to set the fusible (which will reinforce the mended area).

Edit: I would also give the couple advice on how to wash these quilts in the future to preserve them. No machine agitation, and preferably laying out flat to dry. No clothes lines, as these are very hard on quilts.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:05 PM

Can you put on a label with her name/date she made it or a story of her on one of the bad areas...and maybe a picture on fabric in another area?
Old 06-25-2014, 03:09 PM

I would "un-sew" both blocks and take them out carefully, open all 4 sides 1/4 inch, of the blocks that abut the 2 that you take out, make 2 more total blocks and set them in and try somehow to quilt them again. Good luck whatever you do.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

I would look for fabric to make replacement 9 patches. I would then carefully hand stitch the new 9 patches with an invisible ladder stitch into place. If the green one is mostly intact, I would hand stitch some appliqués over the bad spots, maybe shamrocks?
Old 06-25-2014, 04:24 PM

I had the same situation with my sister-in-law with (86 years old) and her mother had made a quilt looonnng ago. It was an old pattern and many of the blocks were just plain dissolved so I went and found some materials that were 1930's and made oh,,, cut about 40 pieces the sizes needed and ironed them under 1/4" and then gently hand sewed them into the missing areas. I tried as best that I could to make them match the idea of the quilt. She was very pleased and put it back on her bed and shared it with "Everyone!!!" Only took me about a month but it was worth the look on her face and the hug she gave me. Here are the pictures before and after.
Attached Thumbnails clay1.jpg   clay2.jpg   clay3.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltingHaven; 06-25-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:51 PM

The old quilt I have is draped over the back of a couch, out of the sunlight. I'm letting it grow old gracefully. It has places where fabrics have frayed and worn out but I'm now fixing it. I want it to have the character it has. It is more than 115 years old.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:22 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful job, QuiltingHaven!!!
Old 06-26-2014, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
For the nine-patch, I would hand applique squares over the damaged fabrics.

For the green and white quilt, I would probably slip a small piece of fusible interfacing (or Misty Fuse, which is a double-sided fusible) into the gap, hand sew the gap shut, then lightly iron to set the fusible (which will reinforce the mended area).

Edit: I would also give the couple advice on how to wash these quilts in the future to preserve them. No machine agitation, and preferably laying out flat to dry. No clothes lines, as these are very hard on quilts.
DITTO from me too. Couldn't have said it any better.