Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finally finished a quilt top (my first), now what? >

Finally finished a quilt top (my first), now what?

Finally finished a quilt top (my first), now what?

Old 03-25-2014, 12:20 PM

Default Finally finished a quilt top (my first), now what?

Okay, so I am a new quilter. Started something several years ago but between it being too hard, two kids and their activities, working full time and a husband in school - it is just sitting. Picked up two jelly rolls at Joann's and put it together using the jelly roll race video I found online. It's done!!!!! I might cut it up a bit for some interest, but besides that, where do I go from here?

I know I want to add a border and I may do some sashing if I cut it up a bit (saw a pic from someone on here who cut their jelly roll into small squares and I may do that). Can someone point me in the direction of how to do that? Also, backing? And is binding necessary? I was going to quilt as I go with a simple SITD.

so, all of you wonderful experts on this board, please point me in the right direction of where to go from here!!

Thanks,

Jacki
Old 03-25-2014, 12:30 PM

Welcome Jacki to the wonderful world of quilting! Binding is necessary if your edges are not turned in and sewn closed. You need to figure out what you want on the back of your quilt. Also, usually there is a layer of batting. You may have to google or u-tube a video about cutting up your jelly roll. Unless you're talking about making 2 1/2" squares out of your jelly roll. If so, do you have a cutting mat and a rotary blade and ruler? If no, you may want to pick up one of those sets that Joann's has. Usually priced at $45, it often goes on sale for $30. With those items you can measure and cut up evenly....just about anything!
Old 03-25-2014, 12:51 PM

Cutting up your 'jelly roll race' quilt top into squares can be done, but when the entire jelly roll is already sewn together, it's harder to get square cuts. Of course. that's my opinion, others may and probably will disagree.

One thing you could do with relative ease is cut it into strips vertically, and then run a sashing between each vertical column, border it, sandwich it and quilt. There's still a concern with cutting the columns straight, but at least you don't have to worry about getting it straight horizontally, too. The quilt that you will wind up with is called a 'coin' quilt, so you can look it up online.

Good luck and please post the finished quilt for us to see.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:00 PM

I don't know how you guys do it. 2 kids, work full time and a husband in school. I'd drop in the floor and just stay there. Good for you for doing it tho'.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board! You just wore me out!!
Old 03-25-2014, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

Jelly roll tops can just be layered, quilted, and bound, with or without borders. Usually they're only cut up into more pieces if the quilter is unhappy with how the top looks as it is. If you show a picture you'll be able to get lots more advice.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:57 PM

Welcome from Spain Jacki. Here is my race jelly roll could be useful !
http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...27-461309.html
Old 03-25-2014, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

I would at least sew a few short strips together and make some sets. Then you can then sub cut them, stitch them together and you have a pieced border. Good Luck !!
Old 03-25-2014, 06:30 PM

Welcome and waving from Colorado