Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finally mastered flying geese - nothing can stop me now! >

Finally mastered flying geese - nothing can stop me now!

Finally mastered flying geese - nothing can stop me now!

Old 09-28-2013, 10:14 AM

Somehow I( had not heard of Deb Tucker but when I looked it up, I like the tutorial methods she shows on YouTube. Neat, I subscribed to her site.

Marysewfun
Old 09-28-2013, 03:04 PM

Quilterscache.com has free downloadable paper pieced FG units in various sizes. This is how I make my FGs. Always come out perfect.

Anita
Old 09-28-2013, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the info! I, too, am addicted to anything that makes quilting easier but makes it look fabulous. My ruler is ordered.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I go for easy. I use the one seam flying geese method. I stitch the folded edges if they are bigger then 2 inches. I won viewer's choice last year at our local quilt show with just rows of flying geese in bright yellow and white. All were made using the one seam method.
I know this thread is a few days old, but I would still like to know about the "one seam method". I've never heard of it, but I'm always curious about what others are doing, and love to learn something new. I see no one else has asked about it. If you see this, you could PM me, or if I don't hear from you in a few days, I will PM you. I'll check this site for a few days, also.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I know this thread is a few days old, but I would still like to know about the "one seam method". I've never heard of it, but I'm always curious about what others are doing, and love to learn something new. I see no one else has asked about it. If you see this, you could PM me, or if I don't hear from you in a few days, I will PM you. I'll check this site for a few days, also.
I was wondering the same thing, so I googled it and found a tute about it:
http://piecemealquilts.files.wordpre...e-tutorial.pdf
It is a little different and looks like it used more fabric. But it would give you a different looking FG, so might be worth it.
Pat
Old 09-30-2013, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pat1969 View Post
I was wondering the same thing, so I googled it and found a tute about it:
http://piecemealquilts.files.wordpre...e-tutorial.pdf
It is a little different and looks like it used more fabric. But it would give you a different looking FG, so might be worth it.
Pat
Thanks, Pat. Now I recall that I have seen that before, and I suppose I rejected it because of all the extra fabric it uses. I am quite jealous of my beautiful fabric, and like to make it all show. But that just adds to the warmth of the quilt, right? Maybe I should make a few of these and then I might remember better that I have been there, done that!
Old 09-30-2013, 08:17 PM

Yea ! Congrats to you!
Old 10-01-2013, 04:40 AM

Quilters cache has a good PP tutorial and I used it for square-in-square recently which is sim to FG. I had not done PP before (other than a Judy Neimyer thing which went into the bottom of the UFO pile pretty quick when I learned the paper pieces were numbered in wrong order in the pattern.)

One important note about the Deb Tucker ruler which I discovered when experimenting - Don't use directional fabric on the big squares, or two of the four geese will be going the wrong way!

In that case I would think the cut-a-corner routine or the PP methods would be best.
I don't know Quilt in a day method so I don't know if that would work.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:00 AM

I hate FG too and avoid many a pretty quilt because mine are always wonky. I picked up a Quick Quilts with a tutorial in there for making them entirely out of squares and I will never go back. Whenever I do a mystery quilt if it looks like it might have FG in them, I wait until the next piece comes out and if there are indeed FG units, I use those measurements and that technique to make them instead of cutting the triangles first. Learned the hard way on that.