Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finding problems on used embroidery machine? >

Finding problems on used embroidery machine?

Finding problems on used embroidery machine?

Old 02-24-2016, 03:20 PM

[QUOTE=Pennyhal;7475778]I have a machine that uses the floppy disks. I had to buy a special "box" to transfer designs from my computer to the floppy. When I got a new computer, I had to buy a second box because the first would not work with it. When I got my next new computer, I had to buy a third box from a different mfg because the mfg. that made the first two no longer supported the boxes I had. )

I have heard before (from somewhere) that you need a "key" to initiate the Magic Box. I bought a Mini Magic Box Plus from ebay several yrs ago and installed in XP computer without any code. Was that because it was the "Renesas" model (this is the model that will save designs to computer hard drive). Fortunately, I had never heard of needing a "key" or I would not have bought it. Guess I was a lucky duck!
Old 02-24-2016, 06:11 PM

Not sure which dealer you contacted but you can also try Stony Brook sew $ vac i Bordentown, NJ. They are not overly far from you. This is the dealer I purchased my viking - different model. I've been using this dealer for 20 + years. Great tech and very good customer service. PM me if you need additional info.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:45 PM
Gay

I would first check if the machine still reads the designs from the disc - you will have to get someone to put a couple on a disc (in the correct format -HUS.) to do that, they may also be hard to find these days.

You can download True Sizer from the Wilcom website - for free. With this you can open a design, resize if necessary, and save it anywhere you like, even to a floppy disc. The reader/writer box would need to be compatable with your latest computer, because as Windows updates the new technology cannot read the old software. You don't always need to buy expensive from the machine shops either, I have found floppy reader/writer boxes from computer stores for a fraction of the price, just check the type of connection.

My Brother - similar age and uses floppies - doesn't like to read the designs sometimes, but I have a later model for embroidery, and love the older one for simple sewing more than the newer machine.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:34 PM

I had a Designer 1 that I purchased in 2000. Never did do any embroidering on it because I had no directions, purchased it from a dealer 400 miles away. However, now my dd has the machine and is really enjoying it. She does a lot of embroidery on it. We find the only limitations are the hoop size. The machine stopped working and she took it in to be serviced....turned out that was really all it needed was a good cleaning and servicing. I did have it up graded to a USB stick and found that better than the floppy. However, as long as you can find floppies to use should be no problem. Mine was good at sewing through many thicknesses and I was happy with it except I had no direction. Once I purchase another machine and learned how to use it....I was able to apply my knowledge to the D1 and teach my daughter how to use the machine. Good Luck. Do have it serviced on a yearly basis though. In the end it will last longer and give you less grief. Just general maintance like you would do on your car.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:56 PM

Oh I forgot....you also need the 3D embroidery system to make the designs compatible with your machine. You need to upload a design to the 3D then send it to the floppy. So you would need to have a computer to do this. Personally I would not consider this machine without a USB stick. However, go to the Yahoo Groups D1 Embroidery/Sewing machine and see what they have to say. The people on here are very good. I'm not sure about the floppy anymore, but they will know.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:57 PM

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...tions/messages

You may have to join this group before you can post. Good Luck.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:23 PM

I bought a used Viking designer SE and have a lot of problems with the upper tension. I have spent a lot of money taking it to different dealers trying to get it fixed,but just caught it's problem the other day. I was sewing along doing a zig zag and it was going fine then all of a sudden it was making an awful noise and there was a wad of thread in the bobbin area which is what I had takin it for repair for. I just happened to see the thread was not feeding as it should. I looked on line and found that Viking electronic machines have a problem with their upper tension. My problem didn't show up with straight stitching but every time I tried to zig zag a seam it would jam after a little while. I called Viking and they told me that since I bought it used it no longer had any warranty. So if you want a machine that is covered for problems you should buy new! Anna
Old 02-25-2016, 05:35 AM

A D1 is a very nice machine. I wish you good luck with it. To check it out, your could spend $$ and bring it to a Viking dealer or I would start on the sewing side with button holes, straight stitch, zigzag etc. Then attach the embroidery unit and stitch out a design. Don't worry about color - just stitch it out. Some Viking Dealers will allow you to "purchase" classes - you could check on that. I am however concerned about the comment that the bobbin "chatters".

SO ... I actually worked for Viking when the update came available to transform the floppy systems of the D1 to USB. My caution here ... if it were mine I would not do it. The USB conversion required (at least back then) that there was a special piece software that had to be on the stick and the time to load a design was much longer than from the floppy. Maybe they have gotten better.... but about 50% of the time you had to reseat the usb stick several times before you could load a design.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:43 AM

My first embroidery machine was a D1, I loved it for sewing, was waiting til I retired to learn the embroidery part. When I was ready, I no longer had the capability on my computer to use floppies. I went to the dealer and he said I could have a usb port installed (about $900 at that time) or spend that same amount to upgrade to an SE. He never mentioned the very inexpensive disc reader/writer!!

I chose to upgrade. Three weeks later the DIamond was released! I was hopping mad...but dealer did a full value trade, so I got the Diamond. Love love love it....but recently found a D1 for just a few hundred dollars and grabbed it! I take it to retreats for quilting, use it for all general sewing (Ido alterations for the public) and wouldn't trade it for anything. You only need a few floppies (just store all your designs on computer, usb and external hard drive) so it isn't hard to find what you want to stitch by going through a ton of floppies (or printing every design). You can easily use an external floppy drive with no special boxes. 3d or any higher software will allow you you transfer (and other software does as well) The machine uses HUS, but the software actually changes it to SHV for use in the machine. The floppies don't hold a ton of designs, but you only need to load what you are going to use (about 36 I think if you use all 4 sections of the floppy). You will love the machine! Test on a big piece of fabric with stabilizer all the stitches and buttonholes, etc. My second D1 actually came with a fabric "book" the previous owner had stitched out every single stitch and labeled them!
Old 02-25-2016, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

I have a friend who does embroidery. Not sure what kind of machine it is that she has but when she got it, she bought brand new and traded her other one. She does a lot and is very good. She also works in an embroidery/printing shop. She says her machine is better than the one at the shop. Good luck with your choice.