Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finding a quilting "style" >

Finding a quilting "style"

Finding a quilting "style"

Old 01-13-2013, 07:56 AM

Thank you so much everyone. I just ordered a thimble and a "pad" for the finger underneath the frame. I love everything about quilting... the fabric... watching a piece of cloth turn into something beautiful... the colors, I even love my frame, etc. I keep listening/reading different well-known quilters and think "oh, THAT is the "RIGHT" way". I need to drop that and I will take more breaks from the frame. Thank you for your encouragement... I am just going to relax and quilt. I love being part of this community. Thank you again, your thoughts mean a lot to me.
Cherie
Old 01-13-2013, 08:01 AM

You should be able to do the rocking stitch without pain, and get more than 5-7 stitches...not that it really matters. Make sure your quilt sandwich isn't too tight in the frame. There needs to be some flex in the sandwich to allow the needle to rock.

However, none of this really matters. Once the quilt comes off the frame no one will know how you made the stitches, so do it the way that makes you happiest.

As for developing a style, why worry? Just quilt and be happy that you're doing it.

Janet
Old 01-13-2013, 08:06 AM

Cherie, I've been a seamstress most all my life. Took up quilting in 2011 at age 66. Never thought I'd quilt as it requires math and puzzles at which I've NEVER been good. Still, I love it! (go figure)

I've machine quilted, and am learning to hand-quilt. Just finished my 1st full size quilt that way. You know what? I like each process. Honestly never thought about having a "style" of quilting. For me it's just pure fun. And at this stage of life shouldn't it be just that... fun.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:24 AM

What is "style"? I think that it is the patterns and fabric colors/patterns that YOU like. There are no quilt police so there are no hard and fast ruls as to which style you should choose. Take a clue from the decorating of you house/apt to choose colors and pattern that you like. As fo machine vs hand- no hand for me- too slow!!! If is frustating and pain ful for you then do not do it and choose machine. Also remember that holder hands can develop arthrits so you may not be able to always do hand. I enjoy the piecing process not really the quilting process- but I do it anyway since sending it out to a LAQ is not in my budget. Just choose the one you like doing. As for developing skills- I am a firm believer in taking a basic quilting class form your LQS. You will learn most basic skills so you can use them as a basis doe gtrowing more skills. Choose simpler patterns to start to sharpen you skills and them start doing harder ones. Read the pattern directions and follow them. They are there for a reason and will help you make the quilt easier and also develop new skills. Just remenber that quilting is a process and you should enjoy it(not that we all do not get frustated sometimes). If you do not really like quilting then maybe it is not for you. Also I started quilting about your age and am getting really good at it after 3 yrs (you do the math for my age)) and
I really like it!!! Do not let other influence your "style " of quilting. There are many quilters out there who think that there way is the "bible" and the only way. . It is fun to think out of the box about colors and patterns but not if you will not use the finished item . chose your own "drunkard path" in life. and quilting
Old 01-13-2013, 09:46 AM

Gads zook. I don't even do one quilt at a time. One at least is always at my sewing machine. Hand work is near the couch. Quilting is at my LA.

I don't enjoy needle turn or hand quilting due to kinda severe arthritis of my hands. So I found ways I can continue to quilt at my own pace.

Learning new techniques is always fun. Except for Cotton Theory - that was pure painful and a friend finished it for me. I go to classes to learn and use my 'class fabric' rather than my finished product fabric as I know I am slower than many others and I am there just to learn and have fun.

I do find I rewrite some patterns so they are easier for me to do. Some pattern makers just aren't good with directions! Great with design but not directions.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

my most important criteria for doing anything is what do I enjoy doing. I am 60 and by now I know I will never be one of those quilters that do such beautiful hand work. I do it because I like doing it and really don't give a hoot about improving or being perfect. I do enjoy and admire all those people who do such beautiful work. I will never be one of them and that has made me able to enjoy quilting even more.

peace