Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fine Pickle I Got Myself In

Fine Pickle I Got Myself In

Some of you may have read my other post on my crooked quilt. Thank you for all the great comments and suggestions! I think itís going to work out after all!

As you can see from the picture, Iíve made the sandwich although itís been rolled up a few times and needs more smoothing. With the border, the size is 60x74. But now what do I do??

Iíve only been quilting for 2 months so free motion to me might as well be a yoga term. I had planned on doing a 45 degree stitch (like a huge zig-zig) on the red sashing but, holy cow! Thereís a lot of red sashing and that method would require me to turn the quilt every 3 inches which would be very difficult.

Iím only moderately good at stitch in the ditch and, because of the difference in colors, one hiccup will be very noticeable.

What do I do??? How do I quilt this beast? Why did I make this quilt???

Name:  Kellys Quilt.jpg
Views: 2139
Size:  336.4 KB

How about some echo stitching within all the white in the blocks. Then straight stitching within the white setting triangles. They could be evenly spaced, use a spot on your walking foot as a guide, or alternate your spacing. Wouldn't have to get within the red or blue at all.

Very pretty quilt and I am sure you will get some great suggestions on what quilting design to use from members here. I have no idea what to do as I take my quilts to a longarm quilter and they work their magic. Good luck on your quilting project.

Given your comfort level, I would think about doing a simple, edge-to-edge grid that echoes the red sashing, not stitch-in-ditch, but to one side of the ditch? Painterís tape makes a very easy guide and can be moved over and over.
    How close does your batting need to be quilted?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I donít know how far I can quilt with this batting but I did get it at a reputable quilting store. Iíve done stitch in the ditch with much smaller projects. How is echo stitching different? From what I can tell itís stitch out of the ditchÖlike a straight stitch beside a seam maybe ľĒ away?

I prefer to stay away from a lot of quilting because I know that makes them stiff. My brother has a quilt an old high school friend made for him. Itís gorgeous but it takes 2 grown men to bend it around him. I want something to cuddle up and watch Netflix with.

How about something like this?

Name:  Kellys Quilt2.jpg
Views: 2095
Size:  89.8 KB

Blog Entries
    Libits is what i was thinking of. simple lines are sometimes best.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Simple is the place where I'm at right now. If I do the lines through the red, obviously I would use red thread but do I have to do it all over again when I go through the blue with blue thread? How about transparent thread? I'm trying to avoid maneuvering this quilt too much because it's so cumbersome. (What person in their right mind decides to start quilting at age 65??)

Libits it is a huge group of us that start quilting at a later age. As for stitching thru the blue, I would just continue with your red thread. Or choose a grey that would sort of blend in with the blue and red. After that has stabilized your quilt you probably need to do some sewing in the blocks. Your package the batting came In will say the recommend max distance between quilting. It can be anywhere between 2 to 10 inches

This is for a Marine.........right? How about just doing a straight line walking foot grid? Just like on the parade grounds. Keep it simple. It'd look great I think! This from another man's perspective.

Jim

Just like on the parade grounds.
    Jim, how ironic. The name of the quilt is "Parade Rest." It's a sign! I know my future son-in-law and he'd love it if I quilted daisies on it but I do like the idea of straight lines....at least through the red. I should probably do something with the blocks for stability but I'm still noodling on that.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    cjsews has excellent advice for you--what you drew makes great sense. In the setting blocks you could echo the seam about 1/2" away and in the white parts in the actual block you could do the same--and leave the red and blue in the blocks alone. Nice quilt!

I got the batting off a huge bolt so there was no packaging but I'll call them tomorrow. Yep, I have to come up with something inside the blocks...

What great ideas! Thank you everyone! You've bailed my sorry tail out again!

I always quilt no more than 3-4" apart. Not worth it to me to take a chance of it bunching up later on.

I usually do FMQ and it is not an issue.

Your quilt is beautiful, love those colors.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Your quilt so nice, you'll get to love it more after its done. I find it easier to quilt spirals or feathers then straight lines. Swirls and curves work for me. Straight lines, don't come straight enough. I would do feathers and make some sort of x type shape on the blue diamonds to get from one block to the next, if that makes any sense. I agree too much quilting makes a quilt stiff. I always start in the center of my quilt and work my way outward, so it comes out nice and flat without puckering. Another suggestion is just some swirls in all the white background, see how it is and decide if you want to add more. Play as you go.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

I would stitch two lines down the red stripes with blue thread, stopping at the border.
    Then stitch 2 lines with red thread say an inch in from each side of the border.
    Then stitch a square say an inch away from white squares, with white thread.

I think the contrasting colors would pull the whole thing together.
    Or if you choose, use matching colors but the same quilt pattern. =)
    For example, I think all blue thread would look good too....

Audition the thread!
    Unwind and put down 16" or so of red, white and blue thread on the different parts of your quilt.

See what you think looks the best! And run with it.

I would stitch around the stars in the white sections with white thread and also around the white centre squares. White thread on white fabric......very, very forgiving and actually, swivelling your work ever so slightly to "follow" the star points is very doable....just take your time and check your backing for bunching each time you've swivelled...but if you've basted fastidiously (and that is an absolute must in your preparation for quilting) that shouldn't be a problem and as you get comfortable with the process it will become easier and easier. I agree, red stitching through the red and the blue...it'll provide a nice contrast when the eye rests on the red stitching across the blue. Walking foot quilting can be very versatile; check out Jacquie Gerings' books and you tubes...she's brilliant and very clear with her instructions. Good luck, you'll be fine and your quilt will look fabulous.

I might add at this point in time I am angsting over exactly the same problem. I have a quilt top of very contrasting colours and I have a gazillion different coloured threads laid out across it auditioning for me. It drives me nuts!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I send mine out. FMQ is beyond my capabilities. I just got a blue bear paw back from her. It has the sashing too. She did a wild river (bunched ribbon) in the sashing. It is quite impressive especially from the back because you can really see the quilting. I'm still hamstrung with this new phone/camera and unable to upload to the board.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-07-2019 at 03:36 AM.

I like your idea of the stitching across the red sashing. My choice in the blocks would be stitch in the ditch around the stars and around that center white piece. And, yes, you can use transparent thread. Some don't like it but I've used it on several kid quilts and it has held up well. Is this the quilt that has satin in it?? (There was one recently.) Be careful of quilting on the satin as the needle pokes holes that may not be so desirable and I suppose could end up with those pieces fraying out. Good job on this one as it is very striking in color and pattern!

I really like your quilt! The design is just great. I think the idea of straight line quilting is a great place for a 'beginner' to start. For one thing, your stitches will be regulated and even because the feed dogs are engaged.
    There are lots of ways to determine your lines for stitching. You can use painters tape or tiger tape and move it from place to place. You can draw with Crayola Ultra clean markers and just wash it out. If you use red thread in the red, blue in the blue and white in the white areas, the stitching will show the quilting but will not be obvious enough to show any 'bobbles. Your quilt is really pretty and the piecing looks so nice that I am sure that you will do very well with the quilting. Please don't be fearful-just jump in and do it. Don't forget to show us again later.

I made my first quilt at 65 or so, so you're not alone. I've used invisible thread to quilt with a walking foot. I used Gutermann that I purchased at JoAnn's as the top thread and matched my backing with the bobbin thread. (I used regular polyester thread there. The quilt was an I spy quilt, so had lots of colors.) I had to adjust my top thread tension a little, but that was the only problem. It worked out fine. I would suggest that whatever you do, do it in long, long strips. By that I mean, don't do a lot of starts and stops where you have to tie and bury the thread ends. That thread is wiry and hard to tie. So, plan your pattern so that it goes from one side all the way to the other side if you can.

You'll have to do some quilting inside the block or it won't hold up to washing. I might go with your pattern of the two lines in the sashing, but go all the way across with no stops and starts. Then, depending on the space I had to cover, I'd do a set of two lines across the blocks or two sets of two lines.

If you use painters tape to mark your lines, don't sew over it. It's a bear to get off after you sew over it. Sew beside it.

I'm trying to make sense, here: I'd start in one corner and go all the way across the quilt. Then I'd come back going in the opposite direction. Make sure your pressure on the presser foot is reduced, too. You don't want it to "push" the quilt top. I use about 7 or 8 stitches per inch, so that's a pretty long stitch. Make a small quilt sandwich with anything you have, as long as it's cotton, to double check everything is correct before you start on the real thing.

Think of it this way: With invisible thread, the quilting won't stand out. Your blocks will be the "star of the show".

bkay
    Last edited by bkay; 05-07-2019 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
    I would stitch around the stars in the white sections with white thread and also around the white centre squares. White thread on white fabric......very, very forgiving and actually, swivelling your work ever so slightly to "follow" the star points is very doable....just take your time and check your backing for bunching each time you've swivelled...but if you've basted fastidiously (and that is an absolute must in your preparation for quilting) that shouldn't be a problem and as you get comfortable with the process it will become easier and easier. I agree, red stitching through the red and the blue...it'll provide a nice contrast when the eye rests on the red stitching across the blue. Walking foot quilting can be very versatile; check out Jacquie Gerings' books and you tubes...she's brilliant and very clear with her instructions. Good luck, you'll be fine and your quilt will look fabulous.

I might add at this point in time I am angsting over exactly the same problem. I have a quilt top of very contrasting colours and I have a gazillion different coloured threads laid out across it auditioning for me. It drives me nuts!!!!!
    "Auditioning" is the perfect word! I’ve learned a lot since I started quilting but two things stand out to me:

1. Maybe it’s because I’m a newbie but things are always harder then I think they’re going to be
    2. Sometimes what I Know will look perfect in my mind doesn’t look as good in reality

Great advice. Thank you!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-07-2019 at 05:37 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Quote Originally Posted by illinois View Post
    I like your idea of the stitching across the red sashing. My choice in the blocks would be stitch in the ditch around the stars and around that center white piece. And, yes, you can use transparent thread. Some don't like it but I've used it on several kid quilts and it has held up well. Is this the quilt that has satin in it?? (There was one recently.) Be careful of quilting on the satin as the needle pokes holes that may not be so desirable and I suppose could end up with those pieces fraying out. Good job on this one as it is very striking in color and pattern!
    Yes, this is the quilt with that satin. The sheen is a beautiful contrast but satin is not made for quilting despite the fact that my go-to fabric store has it right smack in the middle of their quilting fabrics.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-07-2019 at 05:45 AM. Reason: language

Yup, my suggestion as well. Enjoy the process. We all have to start somewhere. I like what you have done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast