Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Finishing ideas

Finishing ideas

I am done with making this pp scrappy log cabin. Wonderering what you all think. I would do a thin blacke border and then do a wide piano key border. Or border with a turquoise color and black and white striped binding.Name:  586D158B-BC61-452D-86C2-FE8687FDCA94.jpeg
Views: 1117
Size:  1.48 MB

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Like it! Wish you were in my guild as this month's program is on using up strings and this is perfect. think I would go with the turquoise border and the striped bindging. (but then I love turquoise!)

I like it. I think your idea of piano keys is great.

I like the idea of a narrow black border first then the piano key border with turquoise in it Lovely quilt

It's a beauty! So colorful... so neatly done. I think the turquoise and stripes would be great... but then the piano keys would be wonderful also. I'm such a big help!

I love it! I would use a narrow black stop border first to separate the colorful center from any other border you might do. A piano key sounds good, or even a checkerboard or flying geese.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mic-pa View Post
    I like the idea of a narrow black border first then the piano key border with turquoise in it Lovely quilt
    this is my thought too
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

wow i think it is pretty

Blog Entries
    scrappies are my favorite, and yours is delightful................

My thoughts---- either nothing, just a solid color binding, or if a border, maybe a narrow black, then wider solid color. I think there's enough going on in the body of the quilt, don't want to distract, just confine and define.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    My thoughts---- either nothing, just a solid color binding, or if a border, maybe a narrow black, then wider solid color. I think there's enough going on in the body of the quilt, don't want to distract, just confine and define.
    What Geri B said - there is so much going on in the body of the quilt - that any more would be confusing.

It looks like a fun top - very very colorful - makes me think of a three ring circus - so much to see at one time.

Blog Entries
    I like the black border and piano keys but then I am a scrapper!!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Your quilt is beautiful! I am confused, but I haven't used narrow pieces of scraps, so why did you paper piece it? Is it because the scraps are narrow?
    Ginger
    ~stitching one thread at a time~

Beautiful blocks and I think a turquoise narrow border would frame out your blocks and love the idea of a piano key border. I use piano key borders a lot and love the finishing look. Good luck on your finish and please share when you finish.

This is very pretty! I am usually so ready to get a top finished, I put a unpieced border on it! I like the piano key border idea. (don't tell my friend! she has been trying to get me to do a piano key border for a Long Time..has not happened yet!)
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-21-2018 at 10:20 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I paper piece so that it is as accurate as I can get it. The quarter inch seam eludes me most of the time

I'd do the narrow black and then the turquoise with striped binding. The LC is linear enough. I wouldn't add more lines (piano keys).

Count me as another for just a binding on it.
    A dark ... black or navy or dark green or ???? ... audition a few and sew what looks the best.
    Or you could go scrappy, but keep it all to the dark scraps/

Finished Binding Size? ... the same as the logs or twice the size.

So that means, if you are wanting the quilt to be larger in size ....
    ...........keep making blocks, and skip the border options!

Yes, JIMHO!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

A narrow black border woul pop it. You could also add log cabins as your outer border. But piano keys sound good

JMHO: I would put a black border (fairly narrow), then do more log cabin blocks as the final border.

Either the black/piano keys or the turquoise stripe will work. Depends on how much more work you want to do!

I am a scrappy lover, too, and log cabin is my favorite block! My avatar photo is actually a brown and green log cabin with hand embroidered wildlife blocks. I also always paper piece my log cabins for accuracy.

Love, love, love your quilt! Have you given any thought to how you will quilt it yet? Can't wait to see it finished.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    I agree - enough going on to merit a simple border. Love your log cabins! The colors are great.

Your quilt is spectacular! If it were mine, I would add a solid black border the width of the logs, then finish with a turquoise border to bring out the various turquoise shades I see in almost every block -- contain it and frame it!!
    Sometimes I try to act "normal," but it gets boring so I just go back to being myself.

My favorite quilt pattern made scrappy, love it. The piano key border will use up more scraps but the other option sounds good also. Please share when done.

I like your quilt a lot. I don't think I have ever seen a log cabin done scrappy before. I think the piano keys would be a distraction. I think I would use a black or navy border of 3 inches (give or take an half inch) and then bind it with sections of scraps. I would make the sections of miscellaneous lengths and join them on the bias. If you did this, you would need to be careful about the corners so you don't have seam joints at the corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
    I'd do the narrow black and then the turquoise with striped binding. The LC is linear enough. I wouldn't add more lines (piano keys).
    I agree with this suggestion

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast