Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First of all, to each His/Her own!!! >

First of all, to each His/Her own!!!

First of all, to each His/Her own!!!

Old 06-30-2011, 07:13 AM

AMEN with your philosophy!
Old 06-30-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by GreatStarter
I used to be one of those people. Was orginially taught by an elderly woman (who was marvelous) and everything was by hand. When my hands got so bad I couldn't hold a needle for long (even after surgery on both) I gave up quilting. For years I mourned the lose of my ability to quilt-then finally I thought what is wrong with me? Just sew by machine!!!! Even though I can no longer do the beautiful baltimore album appliques by hand. I can quilt just about anything else I want to by machine. Why did I waste so many years?!!!!!

Kat
I'm with you. I can no longer hold a needle because of RA. I'd done counted cross stitch & needlepoint for years & really missed having a creative outlet. My daughter suggested quilting by machine. I am totally addicted to it now :lol: :lol:
Old 06-30-2011, 07:18 AM

It seems as soon as I say, "I can't imagine myself......., my subconscience kicks in and I find myself plotting to do just that.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:19 AM

It depends on your creativity streak. Those more gifted turn out one of a kind quilts - those less so don't push boundaries. The joy and fun of quilting is to express yourself at your level. Sometimes you just have to feel sorry for the critics, but the world is way wider than what they think.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:27 AM

i always thought a guilt had to be done by hand . I did my first two completely by hand, thanI saw Alex Anderson on simply quilts . changed everything. I still did hand quilting. as i like the looks of it l all my children have quilts I have HAnd quilted. took forever. I have Parkinsons so now I quilt them on machine. still learning to do that.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:36 AM

You know what is most important for me is the fun and creativity I get when I quilt. While it is nice to have others think what I do is good for my ego, the quilts I give to friends and relatives that use the snot out of them are my best compliments. I am not a heirloom seamstress or quilter. I like that the quilt gets used. My dGm made lots of quilts on her treadle machine. she pieced and quilted on her treadle machine back in the 30's. They are my prized possessions.
The person who has to catergorize the quilter as in a lesser group than those who do "such and such" are the persons to be pittied. Their lives must not be full to any extent, and are likely not very happy. Sorry for them.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jlm5419
This reminds me of my oldest son, who is a terrific cook. One Thanksgiving dinner at my house he refused to eat any of my pies because I had used frozen pie crust!
I would make sure every pie I made when he was here to eat it would be made from frozen pie crusts and just smile. 8-) 8-) 8-)
Old 06-30-2011, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

Do what you like how you like and you will be happy with it. Why worry about what others think? Some try to convince you that things and words should be copied from them. Sad people.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:11 AM

Your title says it best. There are too many rules in the rest of our lives to worry about quilting rules!!!!! So what if all of my points don't meet perfectly? If it drives me crazy, I'll fix it. Otherwise I'll do something differently next time.... vive' la difference!
Old 06-30-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by katyquilter
My brother in law recently told me he didn't think it was a quilt unless it was "hand quilted" - I told him I hated to inform him but he was no longer on my list of folks to receive a quilt from me!!
Really? How many has he hand quilted?