Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First Craft Show. NEED HELP! >

First Craft Show. NEED HELP!

First Craft Show. NEED HELP!

Old 08-30-2013, 04:48 PM

These are quilts I already have. Most of them are child/throw quilts so not as expensive as a normal bed sized quilt. I also have some doll quilts or lovey blankies. I'm guessing more of my mom's craftsy stuff will sell, but just wanted to put a couple of my quilts out anyway. So many of my friends and family members have been having babies lately that I got in the habit of buying cute kid fabrics and making child size quilts whenever I could. I have 3 or 4 at that size right now that are unspoken for.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:02 PM

I used to do a lot of Bazaars, especially at Christmas time, the one thing I sold the most of were those little Crayon book totes that held each crayon individually on the outside of the tote. They always went fast. I did sell one quilt one time, but the lady that bought it, had a booth next to mine.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:28 PM

I did pretty well with potholders that were the colors of some local sports teams. Also key fobs and luggage tags were popular, all low priced items.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:31 PM

In my 3 years of going to craft shows I would agree that with. My potholders and small baskets go much quicker than the table runners and wall hangings. Seems like anything under $10 or so goes quicker. I do take some of my quilts just to display and I get some custom work from that. Good luck. Even if I don't sell anything its still fun to visit with everyone

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I've heard that at craft shows, quilts don't usually sell because they are too expensive. Wall hangings and table runners are something that people will pay for because they are priced pretty low. I gave my SIL two small quilts and not a nibble, but my wall hanging and table runner sold right away. People said the quilts were too expensive for a craft show. JMHO and experience.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:49 PM

Good luck!!!
Old 09-01-2013, 04:38 AM

Small inexpensive items sell much better. One year I made "mice" out of a piece of sweatshirt material and put a piece of a leather shoestring on for a tail and one lady bought one and then returned and bought all I had for her kitty. You just never know what is going to be the best seller! Pot holders, place mats, wall quilts, grocery bags, dog toys, baby bibs, receiving blankets, knit hats for newborns, but the item our guild sells best is table runners. I made purses from baby and little kids overalls and shortalls and they were a hit also Lined them and trimmed with colorful fabric and yoyos. Fabric postcards sometimes sell pretty well.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

I agree. If they are already made, and you get the cost of your materials back (including thread and batting, etc) you can then make some more or just recover your money spent. If you want to make a profit but still sell something, just mark it up "$50" or whatever you want. I enjoy making quilts. I make rag baby quilts for some of the girls at work and tell them how many hours are involved in making them. Then I tell them they will have to pay for the cost of the material plus $15 or $20. Some of them who appreciate the time involved in making the quilt have given me more but at least it is more than I had before I made the quilt. Just my humble opinion.

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
Are these quilts already made? or are you making them special for this show? If they are made already them put this in the show and price them for your cost of materials.( I think my labor is free!) What have you got to lose? But if you are making things to sell then as the others have said make small things like wallhangings or table runners. Check what others are selling their stuff for and price your stuff accordingly. Also check etsy for prices. Make/price something for " show special" and also mark items with price and then write "sale" in red with new price. We all love a deal. Also what you make/sell also depends on the type of show. In smaller shows like church shows items may not sell as well as if the show is a larger well known show. Sometimes it is worth doing 2 different shows since the stuff you do not sell at one can be used at the other. Good Luck!!!!!
Old 09-01-2013, 06:10 AM

As a vendor I sold things $15 and under and I did well. And I made sure I had a business card to give them if they wanted something they could call or email. Got good feed back from that. Maybe a quilt is to much at a craft fair, but when they go home the brain is saying I really love that quilt and you just might get an email sale. Years ago doing craft fairs I sold cheap ,never included my time and sold volume. Other crafters couldn't understand how I could make so much money. ( I had a following, they all looked for me. In todays age email these people when your next fair is and directions and you could also built a following. If you look at an item and ask what would I pay for it, add a dollar or two so you can say look I can see you really like it and price is an issue I give to you for and knock of a dollar. Remember everyone loves a BARGAIN! Have a Pad on table and your business cards tell all who come to your booth if they would like to put their email down and you'd let them know date and place of next fair you'll be at. Good Luck you got some good feed back which should help you get started.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:18 AM

I agree that small items are easily the most likely to sell, but if you REALLY want to make a quilt, you might consider a raffle. That way, people wouldn't be spending more than $5 for a ticket. Many organizations do this with a lot of success.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Ditto what QuiltE said. Also by putting a price on a quilt your family and friends will probably look at the quilts you made for them in the past with a much better light, knowing the amount of money and labor (of love). Happened to a friend of mine. She did exactly as you did and are about to do. The quilts are much more appreciated and respected and the word was spread. She quit a job that stressed her out and eventually rented space and sold her quilts and other crafts. She has retired from the booth space and now does commission and family. Good luck!