Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First Craft Show. NEED HELP! >

First Craft Show. NEED HELP!

First Craft Show. NEED HELP!

Old 09-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

Put a price tags on your baby quilts that are already done. I would go with the cost of your fabric, batt,thread etc. plus a little extra. Smaller items seem to sell best so tablerunners for Thanksgiving and Chrustmas (they can become gifts if they don't sell) Casserole carriers might sell for church pot lucks, if your church has them. The little dresses that fasten on the oven handle might sell. If you make the dress tops from fabric leftovers and $ store towel bottom, you could sell some. There was a QB link or tutorial on doing little round padded knob covers for lidded casserole dishes.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

It's always a roll of the dice as to what will sell at craft shows and what will not. Having "donated" hundreds and hundreds of baby quilts, table runners, placemats, etc., in this area I can sell a baby quilt for $35-$40, placemats $25-$30 for a set of 4, and $25-$35 for table runners, generally. Last fall I had my own booth at my church's holiday fair, I sold mostly table runners, some placemats, but surprisingly I sold 11 out of the 14 Bow Tucks bags for $35/each. This year I may not sell as many, but some things I can give as Christmas presents, or set aside for another year. If the church is in an upscale neighborhood, you can probably add $5-$10 each and sell them quickly. Figure out your costs as others have explained below to give you a more accurate pricing range, but a lot really depends on the area of the fair. Good luck. If you make good, quality items, they should sell.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by MargeD View Post
It's always a roll of the dice as to what will sell at craft shows and what will not. Having "donated" hundreds and hundreds of baby quilts, table runners, placemats, etc., in this area I can sell a baby quilt for $35-$40, placemats $25-$30 for a set of 4, and $25-$35 for table runners, generally. Last fall I had my own booth at my church's holiday fair, I sold mostly table runners, some placemats, but surprisingly I sold 11 out of the 14 Bow Tucks bags for $35/each. This year I may not sell as many, but some things I can give as Christmas presents, or set aside for another year. If the church is in an upscale neighborhood, you can probably add $5-$10 each and sell them quickly. Figure out your costs as others have explained below to give you a more accurate pricing range, but a lot really depends on the area of the fair. Good luck. If you make good, quality items, they should sell.
I've sewn for many, many years have made lots of table runners and placemats, and I can't imagine how you could sell a set of 4 placemats for $25! It takes at least a half a yard of fabric for each placemat, so thats almost $20 right there, and batting, plus binding fabric, thread and the time to put them together. And a Bow Tucks bag for $35 - I've made several and they take hours to make - with all the quilting, pockets, etc. You can't be making anything for your time! I feel very sad that you think those are fair prices for your work!
Old 09-01-2013, 02:24 PM

This is all good information because my friend is doing her first craft show and this will be important to know. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2013, 02:47 PM

Great thread. My Mom wants to do some craft shows...I'm going to let her know.