Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First lessons to a man! >

First lessons to a man!

First lessons to a man!

Old 06-29-2019, 09:18 AM

Default First lessons to a man!

I gave my first quilting lesson to a man this morning. We spend 2 1/2 hours cutting sewing squaring up and making a few 8" 9 patches. By the end of the lesson he had learned the basics how to thread and operate my sewing machine (his wife's is off limits at this time). How to use scissors only on fabric. (He had to buy and bring his own). How to use the "dangerous" rotary cutter, rulers and cutting mat. He thinks for now he will stay with scissors as he believes he is to much of a jokester to be safe with the rotary cutter. I told him, "fine by me". I told him my scissors are off limits at all time hahhaha... He had a great time and was so happy with the pot holder he made. It was fun teaching a man the basics and see how much fun he was having while learning. I think he is planning to make a baby blanket for the new addition to his family due in December 2019. He left here just a bit ago beaming ready to show off his accomplishments!
I have taught a few basics to my grand daughter and forever teaching myself new things. The board is the best way to pick up new things. Right now I have 3 seperate projects in the making since I have become active here again. I am loving every minute of it too.
I can't wait for our next lesson. I gave him a list today of the basic tools he needs to get the best results. Hopefully he will feel more at ease with the rotary cutter next time.
I have been asked to share my knowledge from time to time like this but not really formal classes. It is easy to go from individual to teaching a class of maybe 5-10. I have been ask by the local school district to consider a class or two in the future. I know there has to be folks here that have made the plunge other that those of our number that do classes at the LQS.. Any ideas would be helpful. BTW I have never taken a class myself (ever).
Old 06-29-2019, 09:42 AM

You sound like me and probably a lot of others here too. I have had women come here for me to 'show' them 'how to' and my daughter has suggested for me to teach sewing since I retired and could use extra income. I told her I would not know what to charge or how to charge, by the hour or by so many sessions for a project. How do you teach/charge? You can pm me if you'd rather. This is not me bragging but just what lots of others have said about my sewing when they see a project I've done. They say it looks 'professional' and I'm sure others have told you that and told others here that too. They also say they wish I'd give lessons. I have Never taken a class on anything either. We were 3 girls. Our mother sewed as did our grandmother. Mother gave us a bolt of plisse if I remember correctly, and each a pattern to make ourselves a gown. She told us to read our guide sheet and IF we had a problem, come to her. Otherwise we sewed it all ourselves. My oldest sister and I made ours. Our middle sister would have slept naked before she'd sew a stitch!I guess you have to have a desire to sew.--Fortunately, especially for me since I shared a room with my middle sister, mom made her a gown-

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-29-2019 at 10:41 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-29-2019, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

That's wonderful!
I'm so glad my husband has zero interest in sewing. He's very rough with things and I would be a nervous wreck if he got in my sewing room
Old 06-29-2019, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

My Husband teases about learning to sew and quilt. I just tell him not in my sewing room. He gives no attention to details. He was a Salesman for about 45 years or more.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

My DH would probably do quite well - if he had any interest whatsoever in learning.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:12 PM

My youngest son, who attended a school that focuses on project-based learning, once brought home a math assignment that centered around 2 quilt blocks. He had to draw his own block with multiple sections, then find the area of the sections, figure out how much fabric he would need, and so forth. I decided this would be a great time to introduce him to the joy of sewing while teaching him practical applications of math, so I let him choose whatever fabrics he wanted from my stash, and he cut out and sewed his two blocks all by himself (with supervision and instruction, of course). He proudly showed his finished blocks to his teacher, who seemed unimpressed, but I didn't care because we had fun!
Old 06-30-2019, 05:49 AM

MY DH and middle son could both quilt with a few lessons on the sewing machine, as they both are woodworkers in their "free time". Our son would be fantastic in designing, executing and quilting as he is patient and pays great attention to detail.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:17 AM

Re: " Dangerous Rotary Cutter": When I took my first quilting class, we were charged 25 cents for every time we did not close the rotary cutter if it was not in active use. A good lesson in safety... as some of us do talk with our hands.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
That's wonderful!
I'm so glad my husband has zero interest in sewing. He's very rough with things and I would be a nervous wreck if he got in my sewing room
Me, too, SusieQOH. Plus he doesn't put things away and has a fit when he can't find them.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:14 AM

Juliasb, that is wonderful. You are evidently a good teacher!

It's interesting how things work out. When I was in HS, planning to go to college, I wanted to be a teacher. I ended up getting married and putting DH through school instead. Sometimes I think that wasn't the best of choices, but when I realize how little patience I have for showing others how to do things, I realize it really did end up for the best.

Thankfully, there are people like you who are willing to spend the time to share the skills.