Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First Quilt Guild meeting >

First Quilt Guild meeting

First Quilt Guild meeting

Old 10-18-2010, 07:50 PM

I hope you have a fun first evening - trunk shows are always inspiring!

Does the guild website list suggestions of things to bring? For our guild, we have a raffle table (so bring loonies) and vendors (books, FQ's, notions, patterns, treasures), show & share, block of the month, and there is also often a demonstration of some sort before the meeting starts. There are also workshops held during the day of the meetings, so there is someone there for most of the day - showing up early is highly recommended :)

I hope your guild is a warm and welcoming group! I'm betting by the end of the evening, you'll have a few new friends!
Old 10-18-2010, 11:20 PM

always take pen and paper--shut your phone off[i forgot and got glared at on my second visit 10years ago] love my guild visits hate to miss them
Old 10-19-2010, 04:42 AM

Take your quilting bag, a mug and a big smile! I find quilters are friendly welcoming people. This guild may even have a posted greeter at the door. That's the role that I fill in my guild. I stand at the doorway welcoming everyone, new and old members to the guild with a big "Ask Me" button on so that I am clearly identified. I then seek out visitors to chat with them and explain how the guild works and the various features available ie (block of the month or PIGS). Think of your guild as the beginning of endless possibilities. Enjoy!
Old 10-19-2010, 05:23 AM

You will love quilt guild. You will learn so much, meet new girls, and get to share ideas, how to squeeze more quilting time into your day, and even more!
Just GO!!
Mariah
Old 10-19-2010, 10:00 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Most guilds have a Show and tell as part of every meeting. If you have it, take something that you are particularly proud of, or your first quilt and current project, as a way to introduce yourself. Be sure to give your name and mention that this is your first meeting; someone will always come up to you afterwards to comment on your work and there's your toe in the door.

I hope you have a lovely time!
Jan in VA
Old 10-19-2010, 11:49 AM

Go for it - it's a great experience. Tell them you are new when you come in the door. Most guilds will help you get introduced around and make you feel welcome. I tried two guilds before I joined one. Don't be afraid to find the right group for you. I chose a smaller group so it would be easier to get acquainted more quickly. A plus is that it is also closer to home.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:10 AM

Oh bah. The website had the wrong date for the meeting, so I missed it by one night....oh well there is always next month, and I also heard about another guild that meets during the day,which is great for me....I am sure I will find a quilting "home" soon!