Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First quilt top complete - next step? >

First quilt top complete - next step?

First quilt top complete - next step?

Old 01-04-2017, 05:23 PM

If you can do that kind of work on your first quilt, there is no reason you can't quilt this yourself. Congratulations on a fine-looking top!
Old 01-04-2017, 09:22 PM

pretty quilt! just an FYI--a New Home is made by Janome--what they originally called their machines. Nice machines!
Old 01-04-2017, 10:42 PM
Power Poster

Very pretty top! Great job!
Old 01-05-2017, 03:56 AM

Welcome to the QB, what a marvelous first project...your piecing looks awesome and I love the arrangement of colors. It seems you have been bitten by the quilting bug...enjoy!
Old 01-05-2017, 05:15 AM

You have done amazingly well, especially for a first-time project! Love your colors as well as the design. Yes, a walking foot is one thing that will be a huge help for this one and all future projects. I'd outline the chevrons with stitch in the ditch. Not sure what I'd do in the cream centers. An echo stitch might be an option or I like the suggestion of doing a simple tie there but recommend something such as pearl cotton or embroidery floss, even that skinny ribbon. Yarn is pretty before it's laundered but doesn't hold up well. As to basting. I use quilters' pins for mine. I have never used the spray but am told it can make a real mess of surfaces outside the edge of the quilt so be careful of that or put a sheet down--or take it outside . Again--great job with color choices and construction so far!
Old 01-05-2017, 05:16 AM

What a great job. Lots of good suggestions here. You have this!
Old 01-05-2017, 05:37 AM

Beautiful quilt top!

I would look for a walking foot. There are several companies that make walking feet that fit various machines and they are in the $30 range. I have gotten them for older Viking and Singer machines. I bought them at a shop that sells sewing machines but I'm sure they are available on line as well. I even got one that fit an old Singer with the slant needle. I have them for my Featherweights too.

I wouldn't start out with free motion quilting without a lot of practice first. Stitch in the ditch can be challenging as well as your stitching has to be very straight an accurate. Maybe some stitching done a presser foot away from a seam line would work. No marking other than perhaps at the corners.

At the beginning and end of a stitching I leave longish threads, tie them off and then using a big eye needle run them under the surface, bring the needle off and cut the threads off there.

Consider how you want to sandwich the top, bat and backing together. Some use pins, others hand baste, others spray baste and others (me included) use washable glue squiggled on in a fine line on the batting then attach the front and/or back. There are lots of discussion on this board about this step.

Good luck, you are off to a great start!
Old 01-05-2017, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by popover View Post
You could always hand quilt it using a big hoop.
Or hand quilt it using the no hoop method. Nothing says love like hand quilting. And remember, this is suppose to be fun, no stressing!! And my golden rule, your quilt, your rules! https://www.google.com/search?q=no+h...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Old 01-05-2017, 06:31 AM

Welcome from IL. You did a fantastic job with your choice of fabrics, pattern and piecing. I, too, wanted to complete the quilts myself so started simple on my domestic machine: stitch in the ditch, cross hatching using painters tape as a guide etc. In no time I switched to an overall meander and then tried stencils. Just jump right in. The hardest part is the anticipation.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

your first quilt is beautiful. i hand quilt, so i'm no use to you as to how to quilt it.
you did wonderful on this quilt. thanks for sharing your first with us. please show us more and let us see how you quilt this one.