Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First time at free motion quilting and the needle bit me >

First time at free motion quilting and the needle bit me

First time at free motion quilting and the needle bit me

Old 12-25-2010, 02:00 PM

I remember how happy I was when a got my first little singer for my 8th Christmas. But when I started sewing the next day, when like some of the others, the needle went right through my finger. I lived, I still sew but my grandaughter said to stop saying to watch her fingers, because I told her the story so many times. So far she hasn't had to learn the hard way like nana.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:07 PM

LEARN YOUNG.... NEVER FORGET!!!!
I love your 'heart' quilt....
Old 12-25-2010, 08:20 PM

I feel so sorry for your finger! I know I rotary cut off the side tip of my finger off about 1/4" deep, but I can't imagine the pain of a needle through the fingernail, oh my! I hope you heal fast!
Old 12-25-2010, 09:00 PM

ouch i feel your pain i ran over my finger last week while sewing and until then i couldnt figure out how anyone could get there finger under that darn needle !! now i know i had to get a tetnus shot because i ran it all the way thru the side of my finger
Old 12-25-2010, 09:01 PM

I am so new at this I am shy giving advice but I think

I read some place a stilatto heel will pull fabric instead of your
finger and they don't bleed.
Arwin, if I can't type or spell any better,beware what I think I read someplace
Old 12-25-2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
OUCH!!! I believe I was around 6 or 7 the first time I ran a needle through my finger. No ripping it out, it was right down through the middle of the nail. Dad had to remove the needle and my finger from the machine. Then he held my hand down with one hand and pulled the needle out with a pair of pliers. I guess it was a good thing that I trusted Dad completely. I remember it and the pain to this day but I don't remember be scared of having Dad "fix" it for me. My finger was sore for a long time but there was no permenant damage.
Same thing happened to me, but was on a treadle machine that I was using, so the needle didn't go through too far. But I did have a dent in my fingernail for the longest time :) I remember yelling a lot, but don't remember any blood.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Donna Mare
Originally Posted by crashnquilt
I've done that before. Really puts a cramp in things you want to do.

I happened to land my longarm needle into my finger once. Instead of lifting the needle I did like all insane people and jerked my hand back. Yep, ripped the finger BUT did not get one drop of blood on the quilt. YIPPEE!

Bandaged the finger and went back to work on the quilt. First Responder friend dropped by for coffee. Seeing the bandage work he wanted to see the injury. He got a bit upset because it was still bleeding and I had injuried it a few hours earlier. Dang it I don't have time to go to the hospital! But, I complied considering my husband went and took up with our friend. I'm not sure if the hospital just wasn't busy or if my friend told the ER doc that he'd better hurry up or I would escape but 1 tetnus shot and 8 stitches in 1 1/2 hours and I was back home!

I was told by the ER doc that since I work with needles, blades and the like I really need to pay attention to keep the tetnus shot up to date.
Yikes 8 stitches..wow.. Sorry to hear that. Mine bled good so I just did it up nice after. I actually squeezed it to clean it. I am overdue for my tetnus shot. Had my flu shot Wednesday at my Dr...wasnt doing 2 at a time..woosy.. Yes.. I agree on the tetnus up to date..you never know.. I prob should call his office and see if I can just get one drive by ... shooting lol
Drive by shooting.... :lol: Actually, as I nurse, I have done almost that. The doctor I was working for had an elderly client for whom getting in and out of the car was very difficult, so in an effort to nudge her into getting her much needed flu and pneumonia shot one year, she convinced her that if she would just have her daughter drive into the parking lot at the office, we would give it to her while she remained in the car...yep I was the nurse elected to do the drive by...shooting :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited to add: So sorry for your accident. That has to hurt. Don't forget make sure you tetanus shot is up to date, and to watch closely for infection.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:39 PM

I ran the needle through my finger four weeks ago, had to have antibiotics and a tetanus shot. I use a Quilt Halo now for free motion quilting. I have a new healthy respect for sewing machines, they bite!
Old 12-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Dee

Bitten by the needle is not fun. Ouch! While just sewing long ago, the needle broke off in my fore finger and had to take it out with a plier. I learned a huge lesson that day.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:52 PM

So sorry to hear about your finger accident. I can only imagine how you felt. I am getting goosebumps as I write this. Hope you heal quickly and do stay up to date on the tetnus shots. Get well soon.