Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First time quilter - please help >

First time quilter - please help

First time quilter - please help

Old 10-23-2013, 07:06 AM

Please watch as many tutorials as you can on how to quilt, go to your local library to see if any books on the subject are available and immerse yourself in the subject before you proceed. If you don't you will have wasted a lot of time and energy and come away with a false sense of hating quilting. All the suggestions on this board are definitely invaluable and will help you immensely, we have all been where you are and it will all make sense as you progress. Keep us informed..
Old 10-23-2013, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tate_elliott View Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned glue basting. You use WASHABLE school glue to form your quilt sandwich. Most people use Elmer's brand. You can find many threads on here about glue basting. But you must be sure to use WASHABLE glue, it'll say so right on the label.

Tate
Most likely because the OP is hand quilting. Glue basting has the possiblity of making hand quilting a downright miserable experience IMHO. Especially if the school glue isn't dilute enough or makes a hard spot. Machine quilting you don't notice the drag it will put on a needle but you will sure notice it hand quilting or worse you will hit a spot of glue and not be able to get the needle through it. I would not consider glue basting when hand quilting. Much better off basting with safety pins or needle and thread for hand quilting. I would even be hesitant to use the spray stuff.

To the OP, after basting, you may also want to try using a lap hoop to hold your layers stable for you while quilting. Many handquilters can quilt easily without one, but I can't.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 10-23-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:02 AM

There is a video on youtube that shows how to spray baste a quilt on the wall(sorry no link) that made it easier for me to layer my quilts since I have a large dog who wants to 'help' when I am on the floor. Use the search on youtube to find "spray baste"?
Old 10-23-2013, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
There is a video on youtube that shows how to spray baste a quilt on the wall(sorry no link) that made it easier for me to layer my quilts since I have a large dog who wants to 'help' when I am on the floor. Use the search on youtube to find "spray baste"?
You could also use the method called tailor basting. Very quick and easy to do.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:43 AM

Sorry I can't help you with your question but I sure do like your quilt so far. Please show us when it's finished.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:42 PM

This is pretty much how I hand baste mine:

http://stitchingcow.com/pages/how-to...-hand-quilting
Old 10-23-2013, 02:10 PM

Love the colors in your quilt, and it will be beautiful when you have completed it. I just sent you a PM, a website that shows how to make a quilt from start to finish, a really helpful website with Leah Day as well.
Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2KHU2ovLig
Old 10-23-2013, 11:01 PM

Your quilt is beautiful and I can't wait to see it finished. One other suggestion that I recently learned myself is to
try the library for a room with a table to lay out the quilt. The senior center someone mentioned is one I didn't think of and is a great idea; the library should let you use it for free and probably the senior center too. Sometimes your church can let you use their space as well. Good luck with your learning!