Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First time quilter - please help >

First time quilter - please help

First time quilter - please help

Old 10-21-2013, 09:30 AM

Default First time quilter - please help

Hello,

I'm new to quilting and I've done everything by hand - I haven't learned how to use a sewing machine yet. I'd like to finish this quilt by hand and I've gotten a lot done.

The problem I am having is that the front the quilt are all small palm-sized squares that allow for stretching and my backing is a solid piece. I didn't take into account the stretch when I measured, cut and started sewing the back on. So, when I was nearly finished I found the front was billowing away from the taut back. This was when I realized I failed to account for the stretch of the front of the quilt because of the squares.

I went ahead and removed half of the side stitching and all of the inside connections from front/filling/back that I had randomly placed throughout the entirety of the quilt - eliminating days of hand stitching work. I've been trying to puzzle out how to manage this quilt and attach the back. I'm at a loss. I don't have a large workspace I could attach my quilt to and clamp it tight to restitch over a long period of time - which is the only viable idea I've come up with. Any ideas or recommendations?

I've attached some pictures.
IMG_1248 is the quilt lying down folded back on itself a bit.
IMG_1249 is a close up of the squares and some trim.
IMG_1251 shows a close up of the filler in the middle that is currently attached to the front of the quilt.
IMG_1252 is the same as 1251 but further back.
IMG_1253 shows me holding the back taut and the front sagging.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Its my first quilt and the largest project I've ever done by hand. The entire quilt is roughly 4.5'x4'.
Attached Thumbnails img_1248-1.jpg   img_1249-1.jpg   img_1251-1.jpg   img_1252-1.jpg   img_1253.jpg  

Old 10-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board. The colors and fabrics you used are very pretty!
I'm a bit puzzled by your comment about "squares that allow for stretching",, however. Your quilt top should have little or no stretch. Before making up the quilt sandwich, you should press the top and backing really well. Spray starch is a good thing to use to help stabilize both the top and the backing. When you lay your backing batting and top out, you need to baste the entire thing with thread or safety pins every 3 or 4 inches unless you are using a big quilting frame. This keeps the layers from shifting if you just hand quilt or use a small quilting hoop.
I see a couple of options. Take all the quilting out and press everything really well and make sure you baste or pin the sandwich really well. Another option might be for you to tie this one.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:58 PM

Yes, your sewn top will have "stretch" because of the seams but PaperPrincess is correct. You have to sandwich your three layers together before you can quilt, whether by hand or by machine. Basting them, pinning them, spraying them - which ever you chose - will stabilze all the layers and then you will have successful quilting.

I am not on my computer now but if you use You Tube you can search for videos that show you how to do this. Search on "sandwiching a quilt" or "quilt sandwich". There are ways to do the sandwich a bit at a time when you don't have room to lay it all out.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:21 PM

I remember my first quilt. My mobile home had no place big enough to lay the quilt out so I taped the back to the wall, then the batting on that and then the top. Then I used a jillion pins. It worked but the next one I called the Senior Center and ask to use a room with tables for a couple hours. Good luck and I love your colors.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:55 PM

The space I use to sandwich my quilt is the bed. I have a couple of those cardboard cutting mats that I lay down so my pins don't get stuck to the bed.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:06 PM

I made a quilt from that same fabric!! I love that fabric. I bought mine at Tuesday Morning in a jelly roll. I am not brave enough to hand quilt though. Your quilt will sure be cute when it is finished.

Dina
Old 10-21-2013, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by auroraivy View Post
I went ahead and removed half of the side stitching and all of the inside connections from front/filling/back that I had randomly placed throughout the entirety of the quilt -
It sounds like you did not baste the quilt before quilting it? You need to lay the backing down somewhere flat, make sure it has no wrinkles. Then lay the batting on top, again smoothing out the wrinkles. Then lay the top on and baste your quilt. You need to baste it, otherwise the layers will shift and you will get wrinkles and loose edges.

There are many ways to baste a quilt. You can use basting spray, which is basically a sticky spray that temporarily keeps the layers together. Some people don't like it because it stinks. You can baste with pins, or you can baste with large stitches. There are lots of different tutorials on the internet. Hopefully you'll find one that appeals to you.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:53 PM

I love your choice of fabric and the hand stitching on the top looks great. I'm sure one of the experts here on the Board can help you get your quilt properly sandwiched and quilted.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:38 PM

I agree with the above explanations. I too have little space for this. I have tried the attaching them to the wall and then I used my kitchen table. I have found the table method works best for me. I just find the center line of the quilt verically and and work on one side at a time just moving the quilt a little at a time. I also have discovered the basting spray works best for me. Yes, it does smell really bad so running a fan to help dispurse the smell is helpful, also the spray is highly flammable so make sure youre away from flames while using it. Pinning it works well too but I just found that I really like to easy of the spray and you save time this way. Hope this helps
Old 10-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Power Poster

Well..I think you'll have an idea of what to do next after all the advice, so I won't add too much. You may have to increase the size of your backing fabric to achieve a good end result, it's hard to see from the pics, if this is the case. Anyway...I use a spare QS bed to baste....easier than the floor or a table for me. I also find a big marble slid underneath the backing fabric stops you basting the mattress to the quilt and helps keep all the layers together neatly whilst you pin or stitch. Sing out if you have any more questions....and stick with it...it's going to be a really pretty quilt.