Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • first time spraybasting a quilt >
  • first time spraybasting a quilt

• first time spraybasting a quilt

Old 05-30-2014, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    I tried the plastic once and it slid all over the place. A sheet works better.
    Thanks for your advice. I will try the sheet.
    Old 05-30-2014, 10:47 AM

Because I have a fractured vertebrae in my back, I cannot bend over for long periods of time, and because I have bad knees, kneeling on the floor is a no-no. So I tried something that I had read on this board, and for me, it works.

I spray baste standing up by pinning a sheet on my design wall to protect it. If I'm doing a sew & flip QAYG, I do the batting first, then backing. If I'm doing a block QAYG, I do backing first, then batting, then the block. For this example, we'll pretend I'm doing a sew & flip. Pin the batting to the top of the design wall and let it hang (if you don't run it through the dryer to get the wrinkles out, you can let it hang overnight). I mark the center of the batting with a pin, then put pins an equal distance on either side of the center (10", 15", depending on the size of the quilt). I mark the top of the backing the same way with a pin in the center and the same distance on either side, then I accordion fold the backing from bottom to top about 10-12", pinning every other fold. Then, starting from the top, I spray 1/4th of the batting and match the pins on the top of the batting and the backing. Then I put the backing on top of the batting and smooth it down with my hand, unfolding until I get to the area that hasn't been sprayed. At this point, I will pin the top and batting to the design board, across the top, just to distribute the weight evenly and avoid stretching anything. I will then spray the next 1/4 of the batting, unfold the backing and smooth with my hand. Then the next 1/4, and the last 1/4. Like I say, it works for me. If I'm doing all three layers, like individual blocks that I will be doing a QAYG, a baby quilt or small projects, like a wall hanging or table runner, I pin up the backing first, spray it and apply the batting, then spray the batting and apply the top.

I try to baste several projects at one time, then just take the sheet and throw it in the washer. My design wall (which is a flannel backed table cloth mounted with push pins) is in my hallway, so the sheet is really protecting the walls. I've never had any problems with fumes from 505.
    Old 05-30-2014, 10:53 AM

I always spray the batting, not the fabric. Put batting down, spray, Rollin backing and smooth it out. Let dry. Flip it over so batting is back on top. Spray batting, roll on top and smooth out.