Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fixing a quilt >

fixing a quilt

fixing a quilt

Old 02-10-2010, 10:33 PM

Thank you for answering. Your answer makes a lot of sense. I would think if a quilt is just going to be a wall hanging a fold over edge would be sufficent(sp).
Old 02-11-2010, 09:02 AM

Yes sorry I didn’t see this question before, but I did not mean to insinuate that regular binding is better than fold over binding. I still use fold over for picnic blankets etc… But yes these quilts from 10 years ago that I made have the fold over binding, and as you could guess by the holes in them, the quilts are well loved. The fold over binding has not held up as well as a regular binding would have I think because it’s only one thin layer of fabric on the edge. The way I do my standard binding it ends up being two layers. Plus I personally like the look of a regular binding over the fold over, but that is solely my own personal preference. At the time I would have preferred to do that kind of binding on these quilts, but I was too scared to attempt it. So it wasn’t that I thought the fold over was wrong, just that at the time it was all I could do. Everyone has their preference for binding, and if you like the look of the fold over, then do it! :) Sorry if my comment made it sound like I thought fold over was wrong, it’s not at all, just not my own preference.

Cheers!
Rachel