Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fixing a quilt >

fixing a quilt

fixing a quilt

Old 02-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

Can you put an applique over it after you secure the seams?
Old 02-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

DUCK TAPE! It'll fix anything :lol:

No, really I would hand stitch it where it needs it.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I use wonder under that has started to peel off the backing. I peel it off the backing and tuck it in the spot I want to repair making sure to get all of it tucked in. Then iron. I usually zig zag with some matching thread over the repair.
I have done the same. It works really well
Old 02-08-2010, 10:35 AM

That's a heart breaker!

Depending on how old the sons are I'd just put a patch over the problem(s) and then sew a pocket on top of the patch.

Create open and closed pockets: Put velcro on a couple of pockets, buttons on others, and try a small zipper on another. Your sons will survive but your grandsons will be thrilled to bits to have secret pockets of their very own.

I don't WASH my quilts. I push them into a washer with detergent and water and push them around again a little later and then I'll probably walk by and push them again.

When I get bored with that I let the washing machine drain and spin.

Then I let the washer fill and then I start pushing the quilt around again, making sure to get the quilt moved around in the water. If the water looks USED I let the washer drain and spin and re-fill it again for another pushy rinse.

Finally I let the washer drain and spin for the last time.

I sort of stick the quilt into the dryer so the backing is on the outside and face is roughly folded inside. I run the dryer on low heat for 10-15 minutes.

If I have a large clean place on a rug I spread out a large sheet and then spread out the quilt to dry on the sheet. but speading the sheet over a bed and putting the damp quilt on that works just as well. Honest!

Sounds like a long time consuming thing, doesn't it? But it took me a long time to make the quilt! and I done this often enough to see the whole process as a "Walk By".

Seems to save a lot of wear on the quilt tops. And none of the seams get the stress of being twisted around in the washer.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

if it's straight seams across and down, i'd add a folded strips of fabric across the seams and stitch down on both sides. this should catch the fabric better and no more should come undone.
good luck.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by athenagwis
Two of my first quilts have this problem, at the time I thought a quarter inch seam was optional LOL. Learned that lesson quick!! Now that have pretty big holes at the seams. My son even hides things in his like it's a pocket. :) I think I will take them apart since they are just tied anyway, and put proper batting in (use the really really cheap stuff at the time), and do a proper binding (did the fold over thing since I was afraid to try anything else).

I hope you can get yours fixed though! Maybe you could whip stitch it and put a patch over the spot to protect it? Could do some sort of Applique to make it look like it was done on purpose....

Rachel
What is wrong with the "fold over thing"? Why isn't it a "proper binding"?
Old 02-08-2010, 01:52 PM

It happens to us all from time to time. I also hand stitch as best I can. And sometimes you just gotta applique over the repair if it is too visible. You can either replace the offending piece with another and applique over it, or apply something completely different over the area.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:17 PM

I would think hand stitching would work.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by skpkatydid
Originally Posted by athenagwis
Two of my first quilts have this problem, at the time I thought a quarter inch seam was optional LOL. Learned that lesson quick!! Now that have pretty big holes at the seams. My son even hides things in his like it's a pocket. :) I think I will take them apart since they are just tied anyway, and put proper batting in (use the really really cheap stuff at the time), and do a proper binding (did the fold over thing since I was afraid to try anything else).

I hope you can get yours fixed though! Maybe you could whip stitch it and put a patch over the spot to protect it? Could do some sort of Applique to make it look like it was done on purpose....

Rachel
What is wrong with the "fold over thing"? Why isn't it a "proper binding"?
What is the pros and cons of "proper binding" vs "the fold over thing"?
Old 02-10-2010, 10:16 PM

Regarding the "proper binding" vs "the fold over thing", as with most things, there will be more ways to finish a quilt than any of us will likely ever attempt. The edges of quilt seem to take a lot of wear and the way it is finished doesn't change that...but some seem to be easier to replace than others. To facilitate replacement of worn bindings, I've known some to use 4 piece bindings...one for each side.
The "fold over thing" will likely wear sooner if it is but one layer of fabric at the edge...and likely does not have the stay stitching that an applied binding will create if machine sewn one side and hand sewn on the other. Bias binding keeps the wear from being on grain...but straight of grain binding can be cut just slightly askew and accomplish nearly the same goal. It's always the quiltmaker's choice...I'm not in favor of restrictions of any kind... These differences are some of what I celebrate about our craft. Hope this helps.