Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fixing tension problem - thank goodness for the internet >

Fixing tension problem - thank goodness for the internet

Fixing tension problem - thank goodness for the internet

Old 04-01-2014, 03:23 AM

Another idea, I had a problem with the tension and rethreaded, change the bobbin, changed the needle - all of these steps several times, still having a problem. Took the machine in, lo and behold, I needed to use a different type of needle. I was using an embroidery need, but trying to do FMQ. The style and purpose for embroidery needles is different from FMQ. Put in a Microtex 90/14 and machine worked like a charm.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:51 AM

Where on the net did you find this idea? I need help with my long arm skipping stitches.... !
Old 04-01-2014, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by llweezie View Post
Where on the net did you find this idea? I need help with my long arm skipping stitches.... !

This might mean you are going too fast not letting the threads make the stitch.......either raise speed on knob or slow down "driving".
Old 04-01-2014, 07:36 AM

I just kept Googling and reading everything. Most of the tips had to do with rethreading the machine, changing size and/or types of needles, or changing type of thread. I had done all of those. I messed with both the upper and lower tensions and realized my top tension was never getting tighter, even on #9. I just figured it had to go into the shop, as it is a Viking and there is no way to access the parts like on older sewing machines. I thought I had cleaned out the discs by running a piece of fabric as best as I could between the discs, but with no way to actually see them, I could not be sure if they were clean or not.

But one of the tips was for the knotted threads (I used a length of about 18 inches or so and knotted it 3 or 4 times, just regular thread, but I think maybe next time I may use buttonhole thread since it is thicker) and I thought what the heck, give it a try...

Just persistent Googling and reading.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

It would be a good idea to start another thread with this question, being sure to specify the brand and model of longarm you are using. Skipping stitches can be related to going to fast, and can also be related to not having the needle pushed all the way up in the shaft (which throws the timing off a little). Your thread combination can also be involved.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:15 PM

Thanks for sharing your tip. I'm going to include this in my cleaning routine.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn View Post
I had heard of using dental floss through the disc. Putting knots in the thread is a better idea. TY
Ooh, another quilting use for all that dental floss I don't use! I already use it to help me hold my longarm needle high and tight while I'm tightening the needle screw.

Now I can floss my tension disks with it too! Great idea!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:08 PM

You can run the edge of a crisper dollar bill down the tension disks also. I was taught this in a class.

Connie