Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flannel for backing ???

Quote Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
    I am making my 19 month old grandson a small quilt and was considering using flannel on the back so it would be cuddly and soft to him. I'm usuing a panel and will just add borders. I won't be quilting it per se but will be tying it. Is there anything I need to know other than wash, wash, wash prior to use? Is there a certain distance it should be tied? TIA
    I don't know that there is a certain distance other than for what your batting suggests. If the batting says 2-4" apart, then I would go on the smaller end and do 2" I love working with flannel. In fact, I am cutting out at least 2 baby quilts today that are all flannel. They are so nice and soft and cozy. I just love them. I make my baby quilts 45x60 and gave one to my friends for their first baby. The dad loved having cuddle time with the baby, because he could curl up with the quilt as well. Maybe I need to make them a flannel quilt.

Blog Entries
    ive backed more quilts than i can count with flannel- it is one of my very favorite fabrics!
    just pre-wash it and dry it- (i've been using flannels for 45+years and only pre-wash once- not 2 or 3 times- i've never had an *adverse* effect)
    i toss it into the washer on a warm -regular setting- then i toss it into the dryer (flannel is a looser weave and will fray more than regular cottons- that's why its so good for raggy quilts) so you can either *use pinking shears- or zig=zag or use a serger* on the cut edges- to help control the fraying or even place the yardage in a large mesh bag-
    i most of the time don't bother- i deal with the tangled mess of strings when it comes out- but some folks tend to really freak out when they see those-so you might want to (spare yourself the trauma)
    flannel quilts up beautifully- and each time the quilt is washed/dried it will only get softer/cozier- and oh so nice.
    choose a good quality flannel- fairly heavy- i use double napped benartex flannels most of the time- moda's *woolies* flannels are also wonderful.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

When you use your flannel backing, what kind of batting are you using? Cotton?
    Jenny in DC

Blog Entries
    Flannel makes a wonderfully cuddly backing. As others have said - prewash it. Prewash it in the harshest conditions you can dream up = hot water, heavy detergent and hot rinse, and hot dryer. That way the 'damage' is done before you get it into your quilt and no matter what that quilt goes through later, the flannel won't present a problem.
    Flannel is great not only for kid's quilts, but also for lap quilts and quilts for people in wheelchairs. The flannel clings to your clothes, or the bed, and won't let the quilt slip off.
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2