Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Flannel for Backing

Has anyone out there ever used flannel fabric for the backing on a quilt? If you do, is it necessary to use batting? Seems to be the flannel would be warm enough to use in the spring and fall but not perhaps winter. Thanks for your input.

I just finished a baby quilt with flannel as backing. I used warm and natural batting, but I made a completely flannel baby quilt with flannel as the batting. I guess what I'm saying is, it is up to you! Be sure and wash and dry the flannel at least twice because it shrinks and sheds quite a bit.

That is a personal preference. I don't like heavy hot blankets.......so I use flannel without backing or batting.

blessings, Ruth

Blog Entries
    I prefer a light cotton batting or 80%cotton/20%poly with flannel backing.
    Guess I figure a quilt isn't a quilt without some sort of batting.

I make a lot of kid's quilts with cotton on the front and flannel on the back, no batting. They are easier for the kids to carry around and cuddle because there's less bulk.

Banned
    I quilt with flannel and/or fleece and it quilts up very nice. I also have quited with/wihtout batting and it depends on how heavey you want your quilt.

np3
    Blog Entries
    You can do it both ways, but my personal preference is "with" batting. That is what makes it a quilt to me.

I have used it too, but I always use batting since I am in Wisconsin!

Blog Entries
    I decide whether or not to use batting depending on where the recipient lives and how warm a quilt they might want. :D:D:D

I have even used just seersucker or flannel for top and bottom with no batting for summer/early fall babies.

Right now I'm working on two with pieced tops and fleece backing, no batting.

It all depends on how warm you need it to be and how thick you want it.

Blog Entries
    It is a personal preference as to whether you use batting or not. I have done both. I like the feel with batting, but I can't sleep with them beause they are too hot. I do wash and dry because of shrinkage.

Thanks to all of you for your input. I have now made up my mind on what to use on a quilt I am starting. It is for my son and he is "hot blooded". So the flannel backing will be just fine. Thanks again. (PS - I'm a newbie so any suggestions are appreciated)

I love flannel. I make quilts to keep warm - toasty warm. And to me, there is nuthin' better than flannel. I put it on lots of baby quilts too. Sometimes, I piece baby quilts from flannels too. I like batting for warmth and would consider a thin batting a waste. I love the stuff.

I don't think I would use batting with flannel but it is up to you. No quilt police here.

community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    I did my moms quilt flannel top, batting and cotton back. Just did a baby quilt over the weekend, front/back flannel, no batting.

So, it's what you want :)

i haved used a lot of flannel. front back. batting some had extra batting all of them did look really nice once quilted

I use flannel most (90%) of the time for the backing of my quilts. However if the images on the flannel are screen printed they may not wear/wash well and leave things scratchy. I usually go with lightly printed or solid-like colors. I add batting for winter quilts and just flannel for everyday use.

Thank you for your tips. Sounds like flannel for backing is the way to go sometimes.

I love using flannel for backing... Started doing it on baby quilts and then loved the feel so much I often do on others too.. I personally always use batting....

On all my quilts I use the "Warm and Natural" batting plus sheet material. I live in Florida and it is pretty warm here already,but I think we're going to have a KILLER of a winter!

Blog Entries
    I have used just a flannel backing and have also put a piece of flannel in the quilt as batting. I don't like weight on me when I sleep and prefer to use something warm on the back of the quilt. That's just me, it's a personal choice.

Blog Entries
    I have used just a flannel backing and have also put a piece of flannel in the quilt as batting. I don't like weight on me when I sleep and prefer to use something warm on the back of the quilt. That's just me, it's a personal choice.

Blog Entries
    I just finished another baby quilt with flannel top and backing with W&N for batting. The first one I did like this is wearing like iron according to the recipient. Do what makes YOU feel good. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
    I quilt with flannel and/or fleece and it quilts up very nice. I also have quited with/wihtout batting and it depends on how heavey you want your quilt.
    When you use flannel or fleece is it hard to hand quilt these layers?