Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel Quilt & Seam Allowances! >

Flannel Quilt & Seam Allowances!

Flannel Quilt & Seam Allowances!

Old 05-02-2020, 08:46 AM

Default Flannel Quilt & Seam Allowances!

Hello Everyone,

Hope everyone is safe and healthy. Here's what I did: I started a flannel quilt, using Maywood Studio's Shadowplay Flannel. I'd forgotten that the usual recommendation for flannel is to increase the seam allowance from 1/4" to 1/2". I've been using 1/4" seam allowance. I'm only 10% finished with the piecing, so I could continue with 1/2" seams from here to the end. But should I continue with 1/4" for continuity? I guess it doesn't matter, since we're talking about seam allowances.

But, I guess, I'm curious--have others had problems with the 1/4" seam when using flannel?

Thanks,
Aso

Old 05-02-2020, 09:19 AM

I have only done a few flannel quilts.on the rag quilt it mattered a great deal. What ever you decide to do use the same seam allowance through out the quilt. It should not be to difficult to add another 1/4" to you seam allowance since you have only 10% done. I would add the 1/4".
Old 05-02-2020, 09:37 AM

I have made several flannel quilts and used the 1/4 inch seam allowance. All have held up very well through washings and use. I would always use the same seam allowance no matter what material I am using. I know it'll turn out beautiful.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:35 AM

Maybe you could do what "juliasb" suggested as to add another 1/4" seam allowance beside your current seam allowance. I have always been told just to be consistent in my seam allowances so possibly your 1/4" allowance will be fine. I am making rag quilts and using a 1/2" seam allowance with no problems.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:05 PM

If sewing another seam 1/4" beyond your first seam would make the quilt too small because you didn't plan for 1/2" seams, you could sew another seam in the current seam allowance to keep the fabric from fraying. Just a thought.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

I've always used quarter inch seams and haven't had any problems.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:35 PM

....I have always used a 1/4 inch seam for flannel...I might consider using a wider seam if the flannel I was using was very loosely woven as it would more likely ravel....and yes...just using a wider seam does usually affect the pattern you end up with greatly...unless each and every piece is exactly the same size and shape...then using a wider seam will only affect the finished size as it will finish smaller....for example if you were doing a simple nine patch block with a plain square every other block...this is what would happen....you would piece 9 2.5 inch squares together with a quarter inch seam....this would give you an unfinished nine patch that measures 6.5 inches square and you would alternate that with a plain 6.5 inch square. Now if you decide to use a half inch seam instead....your nine patch would measure unfinished 5.5 inches square so you would have to use a 5.5 inch square plain to have it matching in sizes....so to re-calculate what size to cut all your pieces....you would have to know the "finished" size of them and then recalculate by adding the .5 inch seam allowance.....so if you wanted to use the original 6.5 inch square plain block, you would have to increase your 2.5 inch unfinished squares to be 3 inch unfinished if you are going to use a half inch seam allowance . probably not very clear....but I learned the hard way, if you are following a pattern that has different sized pieces in it...yep...you have to use a 1/4 inch seam or else the pieces don't fit together....
Old 05-02-2020, 03:40 PM

I have made several flannel quilts and have always used a 1/4" seam without any problems. Unless that is I am making a rag quilt, then of course, your seam is much bigger to allow for all that snipping..
Old 05-03-2020, 08:05 PM

Dear All,

Thank you so much for all the helpful responses. Since this is such a nice quality flannel , I'm going to stick with 1/4" seams. I'll let you all know how it works out. Thank you again!

Kindly, Aso

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-04-2020 at 03:54 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 05-04-2020, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

When I’m using good quality flannel I generally use 1/4” seam allowances. I’ve not had any problems. I think the 1/2” recommendations came about from using the flannels that have a loose weave and fray a lot. As long as you are not experiencing A lot of fraying I would continue with the 1/4”.