Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel >

Flannel

Flannel

Old 10-21-2011, 07:57 AM

Use water soluable stabilzer on the top for your design, flannel has a nap to it..........calla
Old 10-21-2011, 10:05 AM

if your using the same type of flannel, as in from the same store and section (not mixing quilt/ crafting with apparel) Washing shouldn't be needed. They'll shrink together in the first wash. If you wash it before hand it will start to ravel and you'll loose the little bit of stiffening agent the manufacturers use to make the cutting easier. Then it could be a pain. If your just using flannel from bits of shirts, those have been washed already and they'll be fine too. But if your going to add other types of fabrics, ie; cotton or silkies, I'd wash them all.

Rather than that, flannel is alot of fun to work with. Less pins needed to make it behave. Have fun. Hope it goes well ^_^
Old 10-21-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
Always pre wash flannel (except when makeing rag quilt) it can shrink several inches per yard....when embroidering if your stitches seem to 'sink into' the fabric you may want to consider putting on a top piece of stabilizer, either a melt away or wash away, (what you would use on fleece or towels) otherwise you could loose it into the fabric.....
as long as the fabric shrinks together, its actually ok.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:08 AM

some good advice here, will have to mark this for sure
Old 10-21-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lady_Paquette
if your using the same type of flannel, as in from the same store and section (not mixing quilt/ crafting with apparel) Washing shouldn't be needed. They'll shrink together in the first wash. If you wash it before hand it will start to ravel and you'll loose the little bit of stiffening agent the manufacturers use to make the cutting easier. Then it could be a pain. If your just using flannel from bits of shirts, those have been washed already and they'll be fine too. But if your going to add other types of fabrics, ie; cotton or silkies, I'd wash them all.

Rather than that, flannel is alot of fun to work with. Less pins needed to make it behave. Have fun. Hope it goes well ^_^
However, she said she wanted to use both flannel and fleece together. the fleece will not shrink and the flannel will shrink a lot, and considering its a dogs bed and will be washed alot, that is not going to work.....Two flannels together, yes...but not with fleece.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:18 AM

ah true. I must have skipped over the fleece part. oops
Old 10-22-2011, 06:59 AM

As several have said already, flannel shrinks a lot. I would even go so far to dampen it thoroughly and dry it on HOT twice. No surprises then because fleece does not shrink.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:11 AM

If it's a color that runs, use retayne on it.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:13 AM

I made a quilt last Christmas withy fleece backing and flannel top. I had washed the flannel and preshrunk it and it did ok. It was a bear to machine quilt because of the fleece on the back. I used a walking foot and had to help pull it through.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Rann
If it's a color that runs, use retayne on it.
what is "Retayne" and where do you buy it ????