Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel >

Flannel

Flannel

Old 10-22-2011, 08:29 AM

I am making a flannel quilt for my son and have embroidered wildlife on 9" squares. I used a muslin color flannel, put a lightweight iron on permanent fusible interfacing on the back of the entire fabric before I cut any squares and used wash-away interfacing on the top. I made my embroidery on long strips that I marked the 9" squares on and then cut them apart when the whole strip was done. I did that so I would not have to work with small areas which may have caused a problem. When finished I removed the tear-away interfacing and starched it heavily. It was really easy to do and came out beautiful. Good luck on yours, I think you will be successful.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:20 PM

I prewash fannel because it shrinks and your embroidery thread doesn't and it will possibly cause puckering. I would also use a stabilizer and a topper (like you would use for towels) to keep the stitches from stinking into the flannel. Only to best for are 4legged kids & G-kids. I'm sure they will love it & besure to post pictures.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

I'm sure your doggies will love their flannel and fleece blankets, but I would definitely wash the flannel first, as the dogs nails could get caught in the loosely woven flannel, not good.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
Always pre wash flannel (except when makeing rag quilt) it can shrink several inches per yard....when embroidering if your stitches seem to 'sink into' the fabric you may want to consider putting on a top piece of stabilizer, either a melt away or wash away, (what you would use on fleece or towels) otherwise you could loose it into the fabric.....
You do need to use a top stabilizer. You may need more than one sheet. Try a practice piece first. If you don't, the stitches will sink into the nap and be totally lost. I use wash-away so I don't have to pick out those little pieces of paper.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:56 PM

I owned an embroidery business. PLEASE use wash away stabilizer on the top and tear away stabiler on the bottom and it will turn out perfect!!! and yes wash it first

Originally Posted by Justlucy
Hi to all my friends. I want to make a couple dog blankets and want to embroider on flannel. Can someone or everyone give me ideas? Do I need to first wash and dry this material a couple times? This is just for my little dog and my little granddog (lol) so nothing that has to be perfect. I am going to make them each a quilt of their own. I will embroider on the flannel and use fleece for the back. Any suggestions would be helpful and fun. Thank you and hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:03 PM

I don't prewash my flannel if the whole quilt is flannel, including the backing. It all will shrink along with the batting with the first wash/dry.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:29 PM

I wash my flannel and starch it before I embroider on it. Starching has made working with flannel lots easier. Hope this helps. Lucky dogs!
Old 10-22-2011, 10:44 PM

I agree with deborahlees: flannel shrinks, fleece doesn't. You shouldn't mix the two kinds of fabrics for that reason. You are sooooo sweet to make your doggies their own beds, however!!!!!!
Old 10-23-2011, 02:06 AM

[quote=janetter]I owned an embroidery business. PLEASE use wash away stabilizer on the top and tear away stabiler on the bottom and it will turn out perfect!!! and yes wash it first

Thanks for that information. I'll keep a copy of this. Always good to get info from the professionals.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:44 PM

I used cutouts and used basting spray to hold it in place as I stitched arround it. came out kinda cool I did a fire hydrant w/ name on it and paw prints. I used cookie cutters for templates.