Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel Wall >

Flannel Wall

Flannel Wall

Old 02-27-2010, 05:43 PM

Has any one made a flannel wall ? If so would you tell me how you made yours I use a flannel square for my blocks. Thank You Shrabar
Old 02-27-2010, 07:13 PM

I used a flannel sheet and folded over the top to make a pocket to put a curtain rod through. Used those plastic hangers that stick on the wall that can be removed without damaging paint (having a senior moment and can't remember the name of them). I just hang the rod on them. I can take it down if I need to wash it. Works really well-got the sheet on sale at Walmart.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:59 PM

I just tacked a full-sized flannel sheet to the wall of my computer room. I used map pins; they're not too hard to remove. I've also heard of folks using an oilcloth tablecloth, the kind with the fuzzy backing (fuzzy side out of course) and taping that to the back of a door.

My main advice (through experience) is that whatever you decide to use, be sure it's in a spot that you can step back from (hall way will not do; I tried it and there's not enough room to step back and "see" the whole design).
Old 02-27-2010, 08:22 PM

I've made a couple. The one I have now is from a fellow quilter who was moving. She used grey flannel and attached it to poster board. I stapled it to my wall, and I've had many quilts on it. I often use pins to secure strips etc to the flannel. I've also used the blue foam sheets you get at the lumber yard (for insulating a house) and sprayed adhesive to it.

For IQF classes they ask for black felt pieces maybe 18 inches square to look at choices for your blocks.
The grey is better than the white (my first one)because it is more neutral. You tend not to see it when you look at your quilt. I think you could use a tan as well.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:14 PM

I have made two flannel walls and just stapled the flannel to the wall. I used trim boards to go around the outside to hold it snug and give it a nice finish. I used ivory or off-white flannel. For me, that is one of the most important tools in my sewing room.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:15 PM

Hi! If you check the search area you will see a couple of discussions on how some of us have made design walls, along with pictures and descriptions. Good luck!!
Old 02-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by janRN
I used a flannel sheet and folded over the top to make a pocket to put a curtain rod through. Used those plastic hangers that stick on the wall that can be removed without damaging paint (having a senior moment and can't remember the name of them). I just hang the rod on them. I can take it down if I need to wash it. Works really well-got the sheet on sale at Walmart.
Is it these Command hooks from 3M?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B000M3V8XI

I didn't realize they could hold a rod. (Does need to be a smooth wall, and an inside wall is more likely to hold than an outside wall I think.) That's a better idea than mine, which was to just cut three holes in the fabric to hang on the hooks. :)
Old 02-28-2010, 05:55 AM

Thanks, Prism--yes, they are the Command Hooks. They come in all sizes now and some of them are deep hooks that you can set the rod into. I have plaster walls (old house) and can't just use tacks and DH has chest pains if I put nails in the wall LOL.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:22 AM

I use a vinyl tablecloth that has flannel on the back. I use thumbtacks to hang it. It works great.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:38 PM

i use white flannel and i staple the edges down very close so it lays snug to the wall. i got 54" flannel at joanns. where i needed it to be bigger than the flannel, i did right sides together, stapled at the edges and flipped over to hide the staples.
since i work in the basement and no one cares what i do there, i chose an unused wall, 8 feet high and 12 feet wide and covered the whole bloomin' thing.