Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flaw in fabric >

Flaw in fabric

Flaw in fabric

Old 10-08-2013, 02:43 AM
Power Poster

If you still have the receipt - I would still try to return it even if it was washed! If it was sold as first quality goods, then there should be no hassle if it isn't. (Operative word here is "should")

I can deal with flaws if I know about them ahead of time (although it infuriates me when the clerk/associate tells me I can work around them - maybe I can, maybe I can't - I know quite well what I'm willing to work around)
Old 10-08-2013, 05:01 AM

I would try to take it back to where I purchased it and if that doesn't work, write a letter to the company. When you go back to the store, take a photo of the end of the bolt with the upc and company info. If they have had trouble with that line, you may at least get a discount.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:46 AM

IF you cannot return it and as a last resort, take the fabric to a good light and find the very end/beginning of the dark line. See if you can carefully lift it out of the thread, with the point of a fine needle. I once found a dark line, in a piece of older flannel fabric. Figured I had nothing to lose, so started trying to pull it out . . . and did! It ended up being an extra fiber, that had somehow been woven into the fabric. I was able to pull out a small section, cut, then pull out another small section, etc. I was careful not to pick up the actual flannel thread and in the end, that thread had just a slightly looser weave. After a few more washes, it was no longer noticeable. It was a PITB and seemed to take forever . . . but it did save the piece of fabric.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I had that happen at Hancock's a long time ago when I started making clothes. At that point I had the clerk open the entire batch of fabric I was going to buy. I'm sure they weren't happy with me but I wasn't happy with shoddy fabric.
Mad this is exactly how I buy mine. I buy by the bolts and months may go by before I use it and am not going to be told it's past a return date. bottom line I am the customer and I want it my way. It's my money.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
IF you cannot return it and as a last resort, take the fabric to a good light and find the very end/beginning of the dark line. See if you can carefully lift it out of the thread, with the point of a fine needle. I once found a dark line, in a piece of older flannel fabric. Figured I had nothing to lose, so started trying to pull it out . . . and did! It ended up being an extra fiber, that had somehow been woven into the fabric. I was able to pull out a small section, cut, then pull out another small section, etc. I was careful not to pick up the actual flannel thread and in the end, that thread had just a slightly looser weave. After a few more washes, it was no longer noticeable. It was a PITB and seemed to take forever . . . but it did save the piece of fabric.
well my, my, my
who would have thought...
you are just so smart.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

I would do as Neesie did but, this has not been a problem for me. I sometimes have many fabrics I just washed, dried, folded and put away. No receipt and could not remember where it was bought. It makes sense to me to try and fix it under these circumstances.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:43 AM

Yes you should return fabric that has that kind of flaw in it! It really should not make any difference why or how the flaw got there. reuten it even if it is cut. Sometimes fabric flaws are not easily seen as it is being cut. Fabric shops or deprtments should be made aware of defective fabric and they in turn may be able to return it to the manufacture. All that said- there may be reason why you do not or can not return it. dstance, really like fabric, willing or can around flaw. If you do not return the fabric at least call the store and tell them about it. so they can check the bolt and pull it so others do not have this issue. Also maybe they would compensate you is some way for the inconvience. .
Old 10-08-2013, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by amelia0607 View Post
My daughter bought some flannel from Hancock's over the weekend for me to use to make her daughter a new swaddle blanket. When I was ironing it today, I noticed a grey streak down the side - probably not noticeable to anyone but me. But it sort of bothers me. This is supposed to be good quality flannel so I have no idea what caused this streak.

I won't bother to return it as it goes so well with the other piece of flannel that she bought but I was wondering - can you return cut yardage if you get it home and there's a flaw? I'm not talking a tiny twisted thread type flaw, but a gray streak that runs the whole width of the fabric. Just curious.

Thanks!
i work at Hancock Fabrics and yes, you can return fabric for any reason. You have to have your receipt otherwise you are SOL.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

Since you've already ironed it, they probably won't take it back but you can still take it over to them to see if the flaw continues through their bolt. If it does they need to send it back to the manufacturer! They don't really like to mess with irregular fabric. They want to know this believe me!
Old 10-08-2013, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Since you've already ironed it, they probably won't take it back but you can still take it over to them to see if the flaw continues through their bolt. If it does they need to send it back to the manufacturer! They don't really like to mess with irregular fabric. They want to know this believe me!
it doesn't matter if you ironed it. The flaw is there. Take it back they will refund your money.