Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flaw in fabric >

Flaw in fabric

Flaw in fabric

Old 10-09-2013, 07:59 AM

I bought 5 yards of the better quality wide muslin from Joanns. As I was serging the cut edges in preparation for washing it I noticed a thin black line that ran the entire length of the fabric. I wasn't very optimistic that I could return it, since I had serged 1 side completely, and about 1/2 of the other side.

They were happy to take it back. We determined that the rest of the bolt was flawed. So they special ordered the fabric for me, and I got the 60% discount that I had used for the original purchase. I should have the fabric next week. The store manager and I are both hoping that the new bolt is without flaws.

I am very happy with the customer service I received!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:12 AM

You should be able to return as its a flaw not of your making. I just bought some fabric at Fons & Porter Warehouse Sale during the Des Moines Quilt Show. One of the fabric had an area where it seems the design was missing on it. Plus just after the point where she was going to cut for my measurement, they had pieced the fabrics together. She cut right after that and started over in my measurement. I've had this happen before but by the time I finally used it there had been a long period since I purchased so I just left it as is and cut the back spot out and used the rest. It happens occasionally so you just need to watch while your fabric is being taken off the bolt. We checked both sides after finding 2 flaws on the same bolt. Makes you weary.......and it was such a lovely piece of green with gold metallic running thru it too so I just had to have some of it.............:-)
Old 10-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

I would at least call Hancock's to see if it can be returned, replaced or reimbursed. If you never ask, the answer is always no. It can't hurt to at least make the call.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:40 AM

You brought back memories of my Dad he always referred to fuel as "Petrol"
Old 10-09-2013, 03:08 PM

I bought flannel at Joanns, I made a self binding receiving blanket, got all done and noticed the flaw with the flannel "seperating", it would have fallen apart so I took the blanket to Joanne and they took it to send back to the manufacturer and replaced all the flannel used in the blanket.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:53 PM

Thanks for all the input. It's nice to know that Hancocks and Joanns both are pretty good about this sort of this. Daughter just loves the fabric and it was the last of it so she wants me to use it anyway. And it really is a light gray - not very noticeable.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amelia0607 View Post
Thanks for all the input. It's nice to know that Hancocks and Joanns both are pretty good about this sort of this. Daughter just loves the fabric and it was the last of it so she wants me to use it anyway. And it really is a light gray - not very noticeable.
Chances are after 20 washings or so, it won't be noticeable at all.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:33 AM

Hancock Fabrics return policy is: It is returnable if nothing has been done to the fabric. That little yellow sticker has the information the store needs.

When growing up & all the years of sewing I have never seen fabric being returned unless it was damaged. Now they will even bring it back the same day. They have various reasons. I have a hard time with that. Oh well.....
Old 10-12-2013, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by amelia0607 View Post
My daughter bought some flannel from Hancock's over the weekend for me to use to make her daughter a new swaddle blanket. When I was ironing it today, I noticed a grey streak down the side - probably not noticeable to anyone but me. But it sort of bothers me. This is supposed to be good quality flannel so I have no idea what caused this streak.

I won't bother to return it as it goes so well with the other piece of flannel that she bought but I was wondering - can you return cut yardage if you get it home and there's a flaw? I'm not talking a tiny twisted thread type flaw, but a gray streak that runs the whole width of the fabric. Just curious.

Thanks!

You didn't miss the flaw, the cutter at Hancock's did. So they should reimburse you.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:41 PM

Well I was working on another blanket and noticed a hole in the fabric where the weaving was coming apart. Returned that one and they were great about it. I did not have receipt but we pulled the bolt and she got the price from that. The lady cutting it also gave me a little extra for my time and gas! I am thankful that I had asked this question ahead of time. Not sure what's up with the fabric but while I was in there I pulled another flannel and it was separating too!!

Thanks for all of your responses. I might not would've even bothered to return it!