Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fleece - To Add Batting or Not? >

Fleece - To Add Batting or Not?

Fleece - To Add Batting or Not?

Old 06-21-2019, 07:26 PM

Default Fleece - To Add Batting or Not?

I'm doing a T-shirt quilt for someone. They brought me a roll of fleece but no batting because they thought it would be thick enough. I have always used batting and think a thin batting would look nice. What do you all think? Should I put a thin batting between T-shirts and fleece? Thanks so much!
LaDonna
Old 06-21-2019, 07:47 PM

I added a thin batting to the one quilt I made with a minky back....it didn’t feel right without it. I live in an area with cold winters....you being in Georgia might make a difference. If your client wants 4 season use out of this quilt the extra layer may add to much warmth.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:56 PM

I use a bat--batting gives a space for your stitches to "sink" and look nicer, IMO
Old 06-22-2019, 01:38 AM

I recently did my first quilt to fleece, I'd use a thin batt, especially with t-shirt material.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:18 AM
Power Poster

If the customer doesn’t want batting I wouldn’t add it. Many fleece backed quilts do not have batting in them T-shirt quilts are really heavy quilts, that third layer just adds more. If it were my quilt I would add batting- that’s just me. I always do a customer quilt the way they want it.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
If the customer doesn’t want batting I wouldn’t add it. Many fleece backed quilts do not have batting in them T-shirt quilts are really heavy quilts, that third layer just adds more. If it were my quilt I would add batting- that’s just me. I always do a customer quilt the way they want it.
Totally agree!

That being said, often times quilters look to the LAQ'er for their expertise and advice.

You have been given some good "food for thought" to discuss with the quilt owner.
Another consideration would be the warmth of the quilt.
For me, the one quilt I have with no batting between the fleece and the pieced top, is plenty warm enough, as the fleece alone provides good warmth, totally on its own.

Ultimately, do not change the plans, without speaking with this person.
After all ... if that is what the customer wants, then that is what the customer should get!!
Old 06-22-2019, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

​Unless you want to donate the cost of the batt to the quilt, you can’t add it without them agreeing to a cost increase.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:14 AM

well it is up to the customer, I would talk to them about it. I just made 4 quilts for toddlers with minky backing and I put in a thin layer of batting. I just feel like a quilt needs batting
Old 06-22-2019, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

As others have said, you can suggest it to the customer - if the customer is nearby, perhaps you can show them samples with and without additional batting.

But - as others have also said - do not add batting to this "on your own".
Old 06-22-2019, 04:44 PM

The T-shirt quilt already has stabilizer on the back of it and adding batt will make it quite heavy I never put batt in myquilts if I use fleece for the back