Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flinn Quilting System >

Flinn Quilting System

Flinn Quilting System

Old 08-14-2010, 10:39 PM

I'm thinking about investing in the Flynn quilting system --the one with pvc/conduit that you use with your home sewing machine. Anyone have comments on this? I honestly can't afford a long arm quilting machine, hand quilting is not my forte for everything and I have too large of quilts in process to standard FM with my regular sewing machine --- also can't afford to have all these projects professionally finished by long arm quilters in my area.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:16 PM

Do a search on "Flynn" and you'll get lots of posts regarding the Flynn Frame :)
Old 08-15-2010, 04:40 AM

WillieP, someone posted on here how to make your own quilting frame to put your machine on, will try to find the link for you.

Elle
Old 08-15-2010, 04:46 AM

Here's the link to the one that the mb member made:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-24223-1.htm

I'm thinking of getting hubby to make me one. Heck, I think I could do it myself!
Old 08-15-2010, 04:54 AM

Here is the one I was thinking about check out this, her husband made it but it looks fairly simple.

http://community.webshots.com/album/386112553dDIfcV

Hope that link shows you what you want.

Elle
Old 08-15-2010, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by WilliP
I'm thinking about investing in the Flynn quilting system --the one with pvc/conduit that you use with your home sewing machine. Anyone have comments on this? I honestly can't afford a long arm quilting machine, hand quilting is not my forte for everything and I have too large of quilts in process to standard FM with my regular sewing machine --- also can't afford to have all these projects professionally finished by long arm quilters in my area.
I bought one because I do bigger quilts like queen and king, the one I bought does only throws or wall hangings. If you are going to do larger quilts he tells you to purchase conduit pipe and not PVC because larger quilts are too heavy for PVC pipe. I have not tried mine yet since I do not have a place big enough to hold the conduit. It also takes practice to use his method.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:59 AM

Also check out the one by Ken Lund No one ever talks about it but I looked it over and when I have $$$ will get that one its $150 but you move the machine not the fabric. :-D same thing you buy the conduit to make sizes
Old 08-15-2010, 06:34 PM

I have the flynn quilting frame and use conduct pipe with it. I find it works O. K. on wall hanging and twin size quilts, but I haven't had that much luck with larger quilts as you have to have several tables to help support it. I have to take it outside on my picnic table to use it and it takes a lot of practices to get the design you want.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by WilliP
Funny we just had this conversation on another thread just a few days ago. I have one. The depth of my sewing machines throat is pretty small so as you roll up the quilt your area of quilting shrinks. I have not tried it on my older sewing machine which has a taller and wider throat. If you don't have a walking foot or a stitch regulator on your sewing machine you'll need to practice - your stitches can be uneven. You'll need to have a long table to use (I put mine on my kitchen table with the extensions pulled out.
It is a lot of fun to use and easy. But with anything you'll need to practice at it. I believe some of the people who commented on the previous post said that they had done larger quilts but I don't think I would have tried anything larger than a lap quilt. I am currently in the process of getting a Bailey 17 inch home quilter on a Grace GMQ frame. I am so excited.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:58 PM

Here is the link to the last question about this frame :-)
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tpr?p=1440380&t=58918