Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Floor Blocks >

Floor Blocks

Floor Blocks

Old 08-13-2011, 11:37 AM

Our coffee shop has the ten minute block tile pattern on the floor. Centers are left in a diamond shape. The tile setter didn't mimic the CW pattern. LOL.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:22 PM

Isn't it amazing how are brain works? Patterns just pop up everywhere. Some magazing was showing beautiful tile floors in Italy or Spain being captured in fabric.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:42 PM

check out the book Viva Venezia - a quilting book that uses marble floors and frescoes from cathedrals and other buildings as the design for quilts. I've got the fabric all picked out from the Stonhenge line from Northcott - now just need to get started.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:42 PM

I see patterns in the strangest places and have copied them with great results. I think the best places are the old European churches/cathedrals --- tile work in the floors is just breathtaking! And, the best part is, you don't actually have to travel there --- there are many books documenting these building w/ detailed photos.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:11 AM

Certainly! Tiles are like fabric in that it is easy to cut them straight, but hard to cut them curved- so lots of the patterns will work.

I often take photos of leaded glass as well, for the same reson.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:13 AM

I seem to look at everything. LOL I will see a lady wearing a dress or blouse and think-AHHHHH-that fabric would be awesome in a quilt! LOL
Old 08-15-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltMania
We were at DisneyWorld a few years ago and the women's restroom had a beautiful tile pattern. I wanted to take some pictures but people were looking at me funny and I was afraid that they'd call security if I whipped out my camera in the bathroom. Wish I would have because it would have been a great quilt.
Something to remember when on vacation. Strangers can not tell tales because they don't know you or your friends. So you can be all enthusiastic about something you see, whip out your camera and take pictures or sketch it on something. If they do not look like quilters or artists you can get excited about 'redecorating - just have to show this to my hubby'. If they look at you strangely you can only feel sorry for people who can't see beauty around them.

Have to go recharge my camera. I carry it everywhere.