Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Floor Blocks

Last week I happened to look down at my bank's floor and noticed that the floor displayed a quilt block. As a matter of fact, there were three possible blocks. I want to take a picture of the floor and graph out the patterns and use them in a quilt. Has anyone noticed floor patterns before and have made a quilt out of them??? : ;-) ;-) ;-)

I've just started looking at tiles on the floor as I walk this week.

Blog Entries
    I am always looking at other things for ideas but have never made a quilt yet from them

Quote Originally Posted by stephaniequeen
    Last week I happened to look down at my bank's floor and noticed that the floor displayed a quilt block. As a matter of fact, there were three possible blocks. I want to take a picture of the floor and graph out the patterns and use them in a quilt. Has anyone noticed floor patterns before and have made a quilt out of them??? : ;-) ;-) ;-)
    Not only floor, but when I go into some restaurant restrooms, I notice the tile on the wall would make a nice quilt... LOL

Blog Entries
    See them everywhere.

LOL...we see blocks everywhere!

Blog Entries
    I was a fill in pianist at a local church and looked up and found very intresting windows. I haven't tried to copy in a quilt, yet.

Just last evening, as we were visiting a friend in the hospital, I commented to my husband that the tile pattern in the floor would make a great quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by stephaniequeen
    We were at DisneyWorld a few years ago and the women's restroom had a beautiful tile pattern. I wanted to take some pictures but people were looking at me funny and I was afraid that they'd call security if I whipped out my camera in the bathroom. Wish I would have because it would have been a great quilt.

yes, many years ago I did a quilt using my 1/2 bath floor design.

Blog Entries
    Our coffee shop has the ten minute block tile pattern on the floor. Centers are left in a diamond shape. The tile setter didn't mimic the CW pattern. LOL.

Isn't it amazing how are brain works? Patterns just pop up everywhere. Some magazing was showing beautiful tile floors in Italy or Spain being captured in fabric.

Blog Entries
    check out the book Viva Venezia - a quilting book that uses marble floors and frescoes from cathedrals and other buildings as the design for quilts. I've got the fabric all picked out from the Stonhenge line from Northcott - now just need to get started.

I see patterns in the strangest places and have copied them with great results. I think the best places are the old European churches/cathedrals --- tile work in the floors is just breathtaking! And, the best part is, you don't actually have to travel there --- there are many books documenting these building w/ detailed photos.

Blog Entries
    Certainly! Tiles are like fabric in that it is easy to cut them straight, but hard to cut them curved- so lots of the patterns will work.

I often take photos of leaded glass as well, for the same reson.

I seem to look at everything. LOL I will see a lady wearing a dress or blouse and think-AHHHHH-that fabric would be awesome in a quilt! LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltMania
    We were at DisneyWorld a few years ago and the women's restroom had a beautiful tile pattern. I wanted to take some pictures but people were looking at me funny and I was afraid that they'd call security if I whipped out my camera in the bathroom. Wish I would have because it would have been a great quilt.
    Something to remember when on vacation. Strangers can not tell tales because they don't know you or your friends. So you can be all enthusiastic about something you see, whip out your camera and take pictures or sketch it on something. If they do not look like quilters or artists you can get excited about 'redecorating - just have to show this to my hubby'. If they look at you strangely you can only feel sorry for people who can't see beauty around them.

Have to go recharge my camera. I carry it everywhere.