Flower Garden Quilt >

Flower Garden Quilt

Flower Garden Quilt

Old 06-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by countryone77
Originally Posted by Blinky
Hi!
I am wanting to start a hexagon flower garden quilt. I am thinking of doing the English paper piecing technique and was wonder if the plastic Mylar hexagon templates is the way to go or print off freezer paper templates? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am totally new tp English paper piecing
:roll:
Have you considered using Inklingo instead of Engligh PP'ing? You print the hexagons (with marked seam allowances) directly on the back of the fabric and don't have to deal with all those papers. For more information see the "How to sew a GFG" video toward the bottom of the following webpage:
http://lindafranz.com/shop/hexagon-quilt-templates/5

More info on Inklingo and hexagon quilts at:
http://lindafranz.com/section/inklin...agon-quilts/54

Blogs related to Inklingo quilts, including using hexagons can be found at:
http://lindafranz.com/section/blogs-for-inklingo-/57
Those sound really nice, too! I like the registration marks in the corners. The stamps don't have that on every corner, so you have to check your lineup with your needle before you start the seam. I also like the ease of cutting...no scissors. But it does waste a bit more than nesting all the stamped hexes. The stacking to cut is still a draw for me. I hate basting and then un basting!
Old 06-15-2011, 07:53 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by Blinky
Originally Posted by Kas
Originally Posted by usewgirl
LOVE THE STAMPS BY KATE IDEA. THANKS
You are welcome!
Very pretty block!
Thank you!
Old 06-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by MargeD
What a beautiful block, love the colors.
Thanks! I am almost finished with the third one. I have lots of the center flowers done, just not the other two rings.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:25 PM

I use my printer paper for my hexagons.
This is the site I use with the program WORD.

http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/trianglehex.html
Old 06-17-2011, 03:02 AM

Your quilt is BEAUTIFUL!

Originally Posted by Belita
Your post inspired me to join the board.

My GFG quilt is my greatest accomplishment. It has well over 1000 hexagons. I started it in 2001 & finished it in 2010. All hand pieced & hand quilted on an old fashioned wooden frame, I used the plastic templates (Quilt Pati's) invented by Pati Shambaugh, which she had demonstrated on Alex Anderson's Simple Quilts tv show on HGTV several years ago. The border on my GFG is my own creation. I didn't want to have to bind or otherwise finish off all those edges. It was my first scalloped edge border/binding.

After quite a bit of time cutting out the hex-shaped fabrics, I decided that I would cut out 2.5 inch squares & baste them to the templates. Once they were basted, then I trimmed them out to 1/4 inch seam allowance. This saved a lot of time and was much easier to do the basting.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Kas
Go to Stamps By Kate online and get yourself some stamps! I love how fast it is to stamp a whole bunch and then cut them out. Then I just sew on the line, no basting through paper and then unbasting. Just sewing! I am having so much fun with it.
Hi Kas! I ordered the From Stamps by Kate! Anxious to try them! I had ordered the Lemoyne stamps from her years ago and then life got hectic and never got around to using them :( I ordered the 1 inch hexagons the other day along with the diamond stamp. :lol:
Old 06-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Kas

I think you are going to love them! I really like the fact that I can stamp just one hex from a fabric to test if I like it with the other combinations. It is so addicting that I have set aside my Mill Wheel I am making with Asian prints (have been for the last 8 years!) and am working on my GFG instead! I usually carry it around with me to sew a few stitches if I have a free second or two, so my kids' doctor and the dentist and the other moms at school have been asking me if I am finally done with the Asian one. Well, no. Ack! My daughter might have to finish that one! LOL!
Old 06-17-2011, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kas
I think you are going to love them! I really like the fact that I can stamp just one hex from a fabric to test if I like it with the other combinations. It is so addicting that I have set aside my Mill Wheel I am making with Asian prints (have been for the last 8 years!) and am working on my GFG instead! I usually carry it around with me to sew a few stitches if I have a free second or two, so my kids' doctor and the dentist and the other moms at school have been asking me if I am finally done with the Asian one. Well, no. Ack! My daughter might have to finish that one! LOL!
That is so funny...how little things can make us so happy! I am looking forward to receiving them! It just sounds so relaxing! Will keep you updated!
Old 06-19-2011, 05:52 PM

Sorry to late to reply. Have been away from internet for a time. I have tried both and find the paper easier to work with. Sew right thru it and you can use it over and over, easy to iron and easy to pick out. Good luck.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by auntdeb
Sorry to late to reply. Have been away from internet for a time. I have tried both and find the paper easier to work with. Sew right thru it and you can use it over and over, easy to iron and easy to pick out. Good luck.
Thank you for your post! I had ordered the Stamps by Kate and received them yesterday and loving them! I am sure other methods are fun too but this is what I decided to go with first and it seems to work for me! I appreciate everyone's post!!!! I will keep you all updated and post my first block when I finish! Thank you all again! I love this Board!!!