Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: flying geese are always a bit short.... why?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    What am I doing wrong? In the end it all fits fine, but it's bugging me. The rectangles are 5" by 2.75" and the squares are 2.75". I'm drawing the diagonal before I sew. Most the flying geese I made end up shorter than 5". What adjustment can I make?

I'm getting ready to cut the pieces for the last 7 star squares for the CW quilt....

Could it be that you are sewing on the line ? I always sew about two threads out, if that makes sense, and I am not certain this will solve the problem either.
    Katherine

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I do sew on the line--I thought we were supposed to? :?: :shock: If I sew on the outer side a bit--that will help?

I find if I sew on the line the material I am folding back is a fraction short, perhaps other members may like to comment as I am certainly no expert and would not like to give you duff information.
    Katherine

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Katherine--if it works for you--it's good advice! :D I'll try it...

Banned
    something is wrong with the .75 measurement...let me think on it

edit: try one rectangle at 5.5 with the 2 squares at 2.75 Barnbum, see if that works.

Always sew a thread or two away from the line. Sewing on the line will give you an exact 1/4 inch put when you fold and press the stitched line you lose a little and that little will make a diff.
    Connie

Sewing on the line will make your rectangles a little short. I mark mine with a Sharpie and then sew to the right of the line... Making the "flipping" piece a tiny bit bigger. That works for me!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thank you!!! I wish they'd say that in the directions, rather than to sew on the line! :wink: Cutting the pieces for the last star blocks now...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    What am I doing wrong? In the end it all fits fine, but it's bugging me. The rectangles are 5" by 2.75" and the squares are 2.75". I'm drawing the diagonal before I sew. Most the flying geese I made end up shorter than 5". What adjustment can I make?

I'm getting ready to cut the pieces for the last 7 star squares for the CW quilt....
    So your goal is to end up with a 5 x 2.75 inch FG? So when it is sewn in it becomes a finished 4.5 x 2.25 inch piece?

If you are coming up just a little short of the 5 inches, then yes, you are taking too big a seam.. just move it over a couple of threads,, ending up with a SCANT 1/4 inch seam.. and you should be golden

Thank you!!! I wish they'd say that in the directions, rather than to sew on the line! :wink: Cutting the pieces for the last star blocks now...
    Don't ya know!!!
    These are one of the "things" you are just supposed to know!!! :roll:
    All the little tricks...
    Thanks,
    Kirsten

Quote Originally Posted by KO24
    Don't ya know!!!
    These are one of the "things" you are just supposed to know!!! :roll:
    All the little tricks...
    Thanks,
    Kirsten
    Love this board....better than a quilting class! :D Thank you all for your experience and information shared.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yes--wonderful little tip! I'll start sewing the suckers together tomorrow--everything's cut and ready.

that's one hot tip! lol! I have been afraid to make f geese, but this makes perfect sense. learn, quilt, learn, quilt better....
    if learning keeps your brain from rusting, this board is like oil for the tin man, lol! :-)

I dont make flying geese that way anymore since learning El Burns way.
    They come out perfect every time. So much easier to do.

Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    I dont make flying geese that way anymore since learning El Burns way.
    They come out perfect every time. So much easier to do.
    what is her way?? I'm starting (soon....at some point....after everything else on my table....) a sampler that has TONS of FG and if it is better than the usual way please point me in the right direction!

Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    that's one hot tip! lol! I have been afraid to make f geese, but this makes perfect sense. learn, quilt, learn, quilt better....
    if learning keeps your brain from rusting, this board is like oil for the tin man, lol! :-)
    LOVE the tips! Thanks, I never would have thought of that, I would have just gotten frustrated a quit.... :oops: :wink:

I had this problem too. It was (like you) driving me crazy! I bought two books ...nothing. I was complaining to a lady at the quilt store and she was a teacher who gave me this very tip. Who knew?

She also said that I should always use a scant 1/4 inch seam on all my piecing, that she gave this tip to all her students. And that the pros were always in the habit of doing this for acurate piecing. Kind of maddening huh? When you buy a 1/4 inch foot, why don't they just make it scant 1/4 inch?? Ha ha ha .... Oh well the rant is over girls. Sorry .....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It worked great!! :D :D :D Yippee!! Thank you times 10!

I mark mine with a Sharpie and then sew to the right of the line...
    I ketp thinking this as I was sewing--but we must sew upside down from each other--because I always had to sew a little to the left of the line. :lol:

I must get these squares done so my barn buddy can help me lay this quilt out when she comes Thursday!! Must...get...done.....

Isnt it great when you manage to get things right that have been bugging you, I cant settle till I fathom things out.
    Katherine

redgarnet222 wrote:
    I had this problem too. It was (like you) driving me crazy! I bought two books ...nothing. I was complaining to a lady at the quilt store and she was a teacher who gave me this very tip. Who knew?

She also said that I should always use a scant 1/4 inch seam on all my piecing, that she gave this tip to all her students. And that the pros were always in the habit of doing this for acurate piecing. Kind of maddening huh? When you buy a 1/4 inch foot, why don't they just make it scant 1/4 inch?? Ha ha ha .... Oh well the rant is over girls. Sorry .....

...I have wondered the very same thing!
    Is it just me...I just discovered last night that when I am replying, If I can't remember somebody's name or whatever, I can scroll further down this page and see the posts! what a help for my sometimes foggy brain. I just love this place, so many 'helps' for someone who NEEDS it, lol! :D

P.S. ...yeah, lol, rose marie, what is eleanor burns way of doing flying geese? can u point a direction or book, please?

gonna do the sharpie thing first, but I am a curious person! should have been a cat!

A tip a quilt teacher taught me was start on the line a few stitches then gradualy go in towards the point and then when you get close to the end do the same.
    It realy works.
    Gale

This is the quilt i`m doing by myself after taking a sample class as you see the triangles are coming out not to bad.
    Name:  Attachment-23525.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  69.7 KB

Banned
    How sweet ! Harley's guarding your quilt . LOL , another dog lover . Annie

http://www.quiltinaday.com/television/

You can watch a video of her demo on flying geese.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast