Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ/darning foot trouble. >

FMQ/darning foot trouble.

FMQ/darning foot trouble.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
If you have a short shank machine, then any decent ss foot should work. I bought a Janome walking foot and FMQ foot for my Elna and they fit very well.
I thought so, too. At this point, I will have to use whatever I can find tomorrow. I am trying to finish a baby quilt for a shower on the 28th (It's DH's cousin who I had forgotten was pregnant :/. got the invitation on Wednesday, cut and pieced the top on Thursday, pieced the back and basted Friday, started quilting Saturday). After I get it done, I can worry about ordering something online, but, time isn't on my side for this project.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

It sounds to me as if the plastic foot is flexing as you sew -- not good. Is this a "hopping" foot? Or a "floating" foot? You might want to go to a metal foot, and I personally prefer a hopping foot.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Banned

sears Kenmore generally has a decent darning foot that fits MANY machines..including Janome, Elna, Singer, Brother and Kenmore!

still why did the "foot" supposedly mess up NOW??? not really sure it is the foot! Did you totally rethread the machine or just replace the needle?
Old 04-22-2012, 05:22 PM

The last time I FMQ and had a problem with needles breaking, it was because the bobbin area was loaded with lint. It gets filled with lint alot faster when I quilt than when I piece. Try a clean out.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
It sounds to me as if the plastic foot is flexing as you sew -- not good. Is this a "hopping" foot? Or a "floating" foot? You might want to go to a metal foot, and I personally prefer a hopping foot.
The part that holds the foot to the machine did seem to be flexing and allowing the needle to move out of placement. Or, at least that's what I could make of it as I tried to FMQ/watch the whole she-bang moving/try not to sew my hands! I'm going to try and find a metal foot today, but, I have no idea what the difference is between a floating foot and a hopping foot? I assume my current one is a hopper...it has the spring in the top where it hangs over the needle screw.

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
sears Kenmore generally has a decent darning foot that fits MANY machines..including Janome, Elna, Singer, Brother and Kenmore!

still why did the "foot" supposedly mess up NOW??? not really sure it is the foot! Did you totally rethread the machine or just replace the needle?
I will see if any of the LQS's and sewing machine repair shops carry the kenmore foot. I'm calling all of them in turn as soon as they open. Have to save my $4 a gallon gasoline!
I did rethread after replacing the needle, even removed the foot and made sure it was on right. I just don't understand it either. The only thing I can come up with is the foot must be junky.

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
The last time I FMQ and had a problem with needles breaking, it was because the bobbin area was loaded with lint. It gets filled with lint alot faster when I quilt than when I piece. Try a clean out.
Good idea! I will take the guts out and give it a cleaning and see what's in there. Though it hasn't been long since I last did it, it could be full of gunk.

As ever...thanks for your help. Hopefully I can get something going today and I will update if I identify the problem!
Old 04-23-2012, 03:36 PM

So....
I called around this morning to see who had what. The LQS and sewing center closest to me both had FMQ feet, but the LQS only carried the plastic big foot. The sewing center is a Janome dealer. The owner asked me to bring the machine in so we could see what would fit.
While my tot napped, I took the machine apart and made sure there was no lint built up. Very little debris. Still no go with the darning foot.
I took the machine to them, and we tried a variety of feet. Eventually, we found that the regular Janome low shank darning foot works perfectly. It's even quieter--like it fits better. AND...the part that screws to the bar is metal!

I conclude that the generic acrylic foot can't stand up to frequent all over FMQ'ing. I think the one I was using got bent or warped and wouldn't stay put above the needle screw like it's supposed to.

Thanks again for all the help trying to figure it out.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Power Poster

Great! So glad you found a solution!