Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ disaster >

FMQ disaster

FMQ disaster

Old 01-28-2011, 04:01 PM

I did try something different with my last king FMQ. I taped masking tape over the midde of the quilt/ Went to the center, quilted to one side back and over to the other side and back and forth. Did a bigger loose-- design it went really fast. Was worried when I turned quilt around that the second half would not match the first half so like izy I kept repeating to myself-- big swirls, squares and pointed tips, by gosh if it didn't work. I did hang a paper pattern on the wall that I had done before, mostly my eyes were on the quilt top. The hardest quilts are the first two.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by wildyard
I wanted to try it, but even with my feed dogs down, the pressure from the presser foot is so tight I cannot move the fabric, so I haven't been able to move past straight line quilting.
What machine do you have? My Pfaff had the darning position for the foot that was for fmq and, well, darning! The presser foot lifter had a middle position.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:57 AM

Don't get discouraged. Be patient with practicing. You'll get it.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by feffertim
Just tried my first attempt at FMC today (on a practice piece) What a disaster, how in the world do people do this. I don't think I will ever get this. I have the books too. Couldn't even do stippling
Keep trying, you can do it. It really does take practice. Go to http:/daystyledesigns.com she has a lot of information. Don't give up. A suggestion, make pot holders, 8" squares sandwiched with insulbrite, and quilt them they work great as presents. Keep your chin up, and practice. It's a hand/eye/foot coordination. You did not learn cursive in one day, and this is definitely more complicated. People also say the draw with a pencil on a piece of paper before they start to fmq. Good luck, and don't get discouraged.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:48 PM

My first attempt was on a very busy little print. I couldn't see how bad it was - LoL! I'm still learning. I love to watch the videos of other people doing FMQ because they make it look so possible.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:09 PM

Practice, practice, practice.. When I 1st started, I took some old quilt blocks that did not turn out right. Made a sandwich out of them and went to town. I used all my old thread and used all those different colored bobbins up. When I got all done and completely filled up the block, I put a binding on it and I'm now using it for a hot plate mat for the table. If I get it messed up with food, I throw it in the washer... if it gets to crummy or falls apart... I throw it away.

Don't plan on having it look great when you start. It will be far from it. You will get better, but you have to practice all the time.

Get some fabric from your stash that you don't like or it's just too small to do much with. Make a sandwich and have fun. Make lots of them and practice every day.

I'm not sure if anyone posted this site because I did not read all 7 pages of posts, but... this young lady has some very interesting FMQ designs. Read this site over, she is amazing. She has many, many videos of how she does the pattern.

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/365project.htm
Old 01-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Power Poster

Relaxing is very necessary, if you are tense it will show in the quilting. I just move my hands as I want, I don't try for anything but a large stipple or meandering, I don't care to try flowers, leaves of any design or pattern. Somedays I do better than others. Washing and drying the quilt helps to hide some flaws, put it on a bed and you will notice it really looks quite good.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:08 PM

I know you have had a lot of encouragement - - this board is so good about that <g>
I haven't read every page, but the first thing I thought was: What didn't she think she had gotten?
I did see the part where you said your shoulders got stiff ... a lower table for your machine and lots of other tables to support the quilt will help you with that. One lady throws the excess bulk over her shoulder, but that is another story for another day.
I watched one of the tutorials that was referenced, (not all the way through) but, has anyone told you to make the needle go as fast as you can and then move the quilt at a regular, consistent speed?
First tendency is to only give the needle a little speed --- and I have a problem with the sound of the machine making my movements speed up, but I digress!
If you speed your needle up and slow your movements down, the stitches will become more consistent.
and, as almost everyone has said: Practice, practice, practice.
I am a lefty who has done fairly well with moving the pencil rather than the paper ...
and, something I am learning to appreciate from this board - - some quilters are more artistically motivated than I am. I am not an artist - - I do a few shapes, but my imagination is limited (to say the least) - - sometimes I will try something I saw someone else do, but usually just stick to simple forms <wave>
Old 02-04-2011, 05:22 AM

Practice, practice, practice.