Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ Issues - What am I doing wrong? >

FMQ Issues - What am I doing wrong?

FMQ Issues - What am I doing wrong?

Old 10-02-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Phylliss
Leah Day (an awesome FM quilter) says to FMQ with your feed dogs up and the stitch length at 0. She feels the gearing on machines changes when the feed dogs are dropped. Try her idea. She also says using the Genie Magic Bobin Washers is helpful.
I saw this u-tube as well. Thanks for the reminder of the 0 stitch length. That helped a lot with the my stitches. Just tried my first attempt at fmq this afternoon. Not too shabby. However, I still have a lot of practice to do.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:11 PM

They claim topstitching needles and metallic needles are the same?

suzy
Old 10-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Kas

Well, I haven't heard any screaming. Does this mean it is working for you, now? I sure hope so!
Old 10-02-2011, 03:50 PM

Well...feed dogs up - check; tension up a notch - check; machine set to slower speed & foot to the metal - check; rethreaded needle - check; stitch length set to 0 - check...ok I tried it and we were ok for a small section. Too much tension in the operator (me) so I quit while I was ahead. To quote Scarlet O'Hara "Tomorrow is another day."

I have all of you to thank for your suggestions and encouragement. Once I finish this small quilt I will take my machine in for service to see if that was also a contributing factor.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:57 PM

I had that problem once. I had purchased some new plastic bobbins. It took me awhile to realize they weren't much of a bargain after all. They were supposed to be "universal". Right. I threw them out and my problem was solved. Also make sure the bobbin is in the machine correctly - easy to space out occasionally don't ya know...
Old 10-02-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Carole Angel
easy to space out occasionally don't ya know...
I agree completely. I bought bobbin washers yesterday and forgot to put one in. Tomorrow.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:11 PM

Ditto!
Old 10-03-2011, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Carole Angel
I had that problem once. I had purchased some new plastic bobbins. It took me awhile to realize they weren't much of a bargain after all. They were supposed to be "universal". Right. I threw them out and my problem was solved. Also make sure the bobbin is in the machine correctly - easy to space out occasionally don't ya know...
Forgot to mention that, the correct bobbin for your machine is essential for FMQ, any bobbin that fits is fine for ordinary stitching but NOT for FMQ, it HAS to be the one for that machine, don't ask me how I know :roll:
Old 10-03-2011, 05:44 AM

that same thing happened to e when i used King Tut thread. I had never used it before and I know it was something I needed to adjust but I couldn't figure it out either.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:37 AM

I some times get my greatest ideas/solutions just as I am falling asleep. My idea was to see if my quilting foot would fit the used Janome 6500 that I bought and, if it did, try FMQ with it. Well, the BabyLock feet do fit the Janome. So I tested with some scraps with the thread that was already in there...SUCCESS! Switched threads and tested again and again SUCCESS! I have almost finished the FMQ on the quilt with NO PROBLEMS. Yes!! I can do this.

Now to get my BabyLock in for service.

So to those who worry about buying a used machine that seems to be too much of a bargain I only paid $250.00 for the Janome Memory Craft 6500P and it is turning into the best investment I have ever made. It came with only the single presser foot...no extras at all.