Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ Issues - What am I doing wrong? >

FMQ Issues - What am I doing wrong?

FMQ Issues - What am I doing wrong?

Old 10-01-2011, 11:30 PM

might be the way you thread your machine ,i had same problem with nest thread in bottom maybe if you rethread it and want i do is use a mirror to check how the quilting looks form bottom hope it works for you
Old 10-02-2011, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
I rarely drop my feed dogs although I do set my tension to 0
Oops should have said "Stitch length" I never mess about with my tension :shock:
Old 10-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

Oops should have said "Stitch length" I never mess about with my tension :shock:
Oh so glad you corrected, I ? the absolute decrease in tension. Clear nail polish huh? May give that a try. For me eye in a 12 needle (or 80) is a tad small; a 14 (or 90) needle is easier for me to thread :roll: Thanks for hints.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:01 AM

You need to choose the needle for the size of thread that you're using - and with FMQ, this becomes a lot more important that with regular machine-guided sewing.

If the needle is too big for the thread, it can't create a good loop for the hook to catch. The loop has to be big enough that as the hook passes, it passes through some part of the loop. If the loop is too small, the hook will miss, causing a skipped stitch.

If the needle is too small for the thread, it may fray the thread and cause a lot of breakage.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:27 AM

I'm right there with you Sunnie, just took a break from trying to finish up a fmq on a border of a quilt and had to rip out a good bit of it, not only was i getting eyelashing on the back i also got fabric folded into it....grrrrrrrr decided to get on here and check out the new posts....
Old 10-02-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
Oh so glad you corrected, I ? the absolute decrease in tension. Clear nail polish huh? May give that a try. For me eye in a 12 needle (or 80) is a tad small; a 14 (or 90) needle is easier for me to thread :roll: Thanks for hints.
I think I would question putting nail polish on my machine. I'm guessing she meant at furniture-type polish
that leaves a smooth, slippery finish. I have a spray product called "Glide" (I believe, not home to check) that I picked up in a LQS somewhere. I use it on my machine and
extension table to make it really slick in addition to using one of the pads (also can't think of the name). Helps the fabric sandwich slide easier.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:18 AM

NOT nail polish, furniture or silicone polish!
Old 10-02-2011, 10:19 AM

Hi,
I also posted on this problem...I got the bobbin genies, I increased the top tension..and what really helped is I found that the fmq foot that came with my machine was too long! I bought 2 different ones, and when they came in I put one on...and it was a huge difference!! So, I put them all side by side, and there is a noticeable difference...I posted pics on here, will add the link at the bottom...Just another suggestion from someone who has been so frustrated...and now is sooo happy with fmq...for now...lol,
Kif
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-153683-1.htm
Old 10-02-2011, 10:20 AM

Use a sewing needle "Heavy" and you won't have skipped stitches.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

NOT nail polish, furniture or silicone polish!
My bad--thanks for cleearing that up :oops: